Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Black Santa Cruz 2022 Ultimate
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if someone else had that trouble.
We had our first snowfall here and temperatures dropped down to below freezing. Needed to carry bulky cargo but could not get the cover open at all, had to go back get the trailer….. very annoying.
I did put the truck in a heated garage to get everything nice and dry for 48hrs before going out again and it froze again in minutes, must be water trapped somewhere in the retraction system… grrrr
Right now it means the back is unuseable all winter…. not good.
I’ll probably try opening it and see what can be done, if someone has the drawings that could help or had the same problem and solved it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wondering if someone else had that trouble.
We had our first snowfall here and temperatures dropped down to below freezing. Needed to carry bulky cargo but could not get the cover open at all, had to go back get the trailer….. very annoying.
I did put the truck in a heated garage to get everything nice and dry for 48hrs before going out again and it froze again in minutes, must be water trapped somewhere in the retraction system… grrrr
Right now it means the back is unuseable all winter…. not good.
I’ll probably try opening it and see what can be done, if someone has the drawings that could help or had the same problem and solved it.
I get the same problem. When there is ice on the cover it’s seem too stiff to fold and roll up in the case. If it’s not too cold outside just spray water on it, works fine. Now i just let it open as with the snow and ice, the tonneau will really not work great. Sorry for my bad english!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine froze up over the weekend as well, it was still warm enough that sitting in the sun let me open it. I’ll leave it open all winter. I had a bigger issue at the same time, my tailgate refused to unlock I’m guessing due to something being frozen so the back half of my Cruz was unusable until I freed the cover and then the tailgate let me unlock it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, this is what I was afraid of... I had a roll n lock on one of my pickups before but it always froze up. I switched to the bakflip covers and they worked way better (although with freezing rain it would still stick to the tailgate pretty hard). The rollup is the only one available right now for the SC so I took it (and because the SC is smaller, at least I can keep it in the heated garage and thaw it out daily), but if it keeps giving me grief I may look at switching it out in a year or two once there are other options available. (In Canada, all of the units come with the cover, so aftermarket will be slow I'm guessing).

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Yeah, this is what I was afraid of... I had a roll n lock on one of my pickups before but it always froze up. I switched to the bakflip covers and they worked way better (although with freezing rain it would still stick to the tailgate pretty hard). The rollup is the only one available right now for the SC so I took it (and because the SC is smaller, at least I can keep it in the heated garage and thaw it out daily), but if it keeps giving me grief I may look at switching it out in a year or two once there are other options available. (In Canada, all of the units come with the cover, so aftermarket will be slow I'm guessing).

·
Registered
Santa Cruz Limited in Blue Stone
408 Posts
I've been worried about the tonneau freezing up. So far, there has not been enough snow here in Colorado and i haven't had the problem yet. I think I will follow the advice of others and if it's going to snow and roll the toneau open to try and keep it dry. I have a garage but it's unheated. Unless it gets really cold, the garage usually is above freezing because of the residual heat given off by the engines in our Tucson and SC. Keeping fingers crossed until next Spring.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Ok, so is the issue with the tonneau cover latch freezing or actually rolling it back? I’ve had issues in the morning with the latch, unable to move it. But once I’m able to unlatch it, the tonneau itself rolled back.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,313 Posts
I've only had issues with the seal icing to the tailgate when we were transitioning from fall rain to winter ice/snow. I just gave it a few bangs along the seal with my hand and it popped open. Haven't had an issue with the top failing to roll back though. I've had it back a few times in the last couple of weeks ... and we've been frozen and snowy since before Remembrance (Veteran's) Day.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
My limited experience with cold weather is that a coating of ice will 'glue' anything and everything into a solid mass. So, why all this surprise that the tonneau is no different?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts