Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner

Wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay on Limited?

18K views 36 replies 20 participants last post by  bruesjoh04 
#1 ·
Can anyone confirm if the upgraded 10.5" radio on the Limited trim levels have wireless android auto? I tried the search function but did not see any info. Apologies if this has already been answered.

#4 ·
I believe you can still place and receive phone calls with a paired phone separate from that used on android auto or apple carplay, so a workaround could be that you take an old phone that you have laying around and permanently connect it hiding it somewhere out of sight, and you always have AA/CP without the hassle of plugging in your phone every time. You would just need a fast way to turn on hotspot functionality on your phone for the data connection, probably some automation software out there that can do it triggered by the bluetooth connection to your car but I haven't set that up yet.

#6 ·
If this operates like any other Hyundai/Kia model with the 10.25” infotainment, it doesn’t work that way. Having a phone plugged in to AA/CarPlay will use that device as the connected phone, overriding any phone that might have been connected via Bluetooth. These systems support having multiple device connections for Bluetooth audio, but not for phone calls. It doesn’t treat AA/CarPlay any differently… still just one phone at a time for phone calls.

So you would either need to not care about being alerted through the infotainment about calls/messages if you were using an old device for this purpose.

Or, you could just get a wireless CarPlay adapter like CarPlay2Air, or a wireless AA adapter like AA Wireless.

Or, you can just use regular Bluetooth audio if that’s good enough for you and seeing the whole phone interface isn’t necessary.
Hyundai should have included those features on the most expensive trim, period. A car manufacturer should not be eliminating features as you go up the product line. Hopefully they will be able to correct this in the near future.
The only Hyundai/Kia models to date with wireless AA/CarPlay support are those with the smaller, most recently updated 8” infotainment (first seen in some of their 2021 models). None of the 10.25” or larger systems support this at this time, so it’s nothing specific to the Santa Cruz.

#7 ·
I think the issue with the larger screen is aspect ratio. To make it work on the 10.25" screen, the display has to be stretched and that distorts the image or clips part of it off. Hyundai's hardware/software has to be rewritten to adapt the phone display to the wider screen.

That said, it would be nice to just be able to "cast" the phone image to the vehicle's display screen via Bluetooth. You could open Google Maps, for instance, then hit the Cast button and you'd be done.

#9 ·
Aspect ratio doesn’t have anything to do with it; every Hyundai/Kia vehicle sold with a 10.25” screen can display CarPlay in beautiful widescreen if you want. Same isn’t true for Android Auto… the first 10.25” system was introduced before AA supported non-standard aspect ratios, and that logic seems to be baked in. So AA still can only take up 2/3 of the display (with the remaining 1/3 left over for the Hyundai interface).

Also, displaying a live feed from the phone demands way more bandwidth than Bluetooth can offer. Which is why wireless CarPlay and Android Auto uses WiFi.

#8 ·
I actually prefer a wired connection to wireless; it charges faster and transfers data seamlessly.

#10 ·
On some vehicles, enabling developer options in AA and setting 1080p output works. Maps will stay the same size, the navigation pane moves to the left side vs. bottom, and a right-side panel shows the time, date, signal, and battery details; with another panel underneath that shows current media source.

#15 ·
I''m not overly concerned with wireless AA/CP because I normally only charge my phone during the week on my commute. Although, with the Qi pad built-in, it would be nice to have. I'll remain hopeful that they will find a way to add it through a firmware update in the future. It DOES still baffle me why it's a feature on the base head unit but not on the premium one. Seems backwards.

#16 ·
Since I haven't seen it said yet, as someone who sells cars for a living (different manufacturer), I am glad the Limited doesn't get wireless Apple CarPlay. It only takes a single instance of using CarPlay wirelessly for you to understand why it's inferior to wired. The convenience is a plus, but everything else is a drawback. At the top of the reasons for me is the delay in sending commands: pressing play/pause/next track/etc takes literally multiple seconds to activate. There is also an audio delay that causes the sounds (ex: YouTube) to lag behind the video portion noticeably. It's expecially immersion-breaking when watching someone talk. Finally, the audio quality will always be subpar when compared to wired, it's inherent to any system. This one isn't as big of a deal to most people but for audiophiles and people wanting the best quality experience, it'll be a drawback.

#18 ·
My K5 had the wireless AA and I wasn't a fan of it either. The one thing that annoyed me was that it uses wifi to connect to the car as a network connection, with no internet connection, tying up your wifi connection so that you couldn't access real external wifi with internet. With the wired connection, your phone is still able to access real wifi when available.

#21 ·
I've used the CarLinkIt in our 2020 Santa Fe and it works pretty well. Ocassionally has trouble connecting, but works about 90% of the time without issue and connects within 30 seconds of starting up the car. Sure, I curse at it from time to time, but I also have XM Radio as a backup solution should it start acting finicky. Considering the alternative of having to take my phone out of my pocket everytime I get in the car and plug it in, I'd buy this thing a hundred times over.Oh, and I've tried it with a SC Limited with the 10.1" screen and it does work. This is the specific one I bought and it works with multiple brands including Hyundai, Kia, and even Jeep and Dodge. I've used this same dongle in everything from a 2021 Kia K5 to a 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee to even a 2017 Dodge Charger.https://carlinkitcarplay.com/products/carlinkit-wireless-adapter-for-factory-carplay

#24 ·
Hello it's October 2023, does anyone know if the 23 Santa Cruz limited with the 10 inch screen ever was made compatible with wireless Android Auto? When purchased earlier this year it was wired only. I heard that software updates were coming which would allow it to become wireless. Anyone have any clear guidance on this.

#26 ·
Hearing tales it's a licensing issue and the wireless hardware is built-in but disabled is not easy to verify. I found a hack where the tech daring were able to enable the wired function on a wireless head accessing the 'root' and toggling features. But never see enabling wireless the other way around. You want wireless, add a dongle to the left USB port. The receivers are tiny and work as well as factory.

Found an Appleinsider article that shed some light. The sword fight was over charging. The wired flavor passed fast data and charged the thing. They had to add a charging pad and make a solid radio connection to pull off the same trick wirelessly. Pretty sure it's a cost thang, they pay Apple either way. Simply a user preference.

#27 ·
Hearing tales it's a licensing issue and the wireless hardware is built-in but disabled is not easy to verify. I found a hack where the tech daring were able to enable the wired function on a wireless head accessing the 'root' and toggling features. But never see enabling wireless the other way around. You want wireless, add a dongle to the left USB port. The receivers are tiny and work as well as factory.

Found an Appleinsider article that shed some light. The sword fight was over charging. The wired flavor passed fast data and charged the thing. They had to add a charging pad and make a solid radio connection to pull off the same trick wirelessly. Pretty sure it's a cost thang, they pay Apple either way. Simply a user preference.
Nope… Hyundai had wireless Apple CarPlay and AA for a longtime… just never in their units equipped with factory navigation

The issues has always been a pissing match about user data…

wireless is now being rolled out, starting with the EVs and Konas

#28 ·
The issues has always been a pissing match about user data…
Data usage how? I know they can talk fastest 'on the wire' but the combined Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connection is a close second. Both hog the same data grabs.

Thinking BT handles phone voice where Wi-Fi sends Nav and eye-candy like album art. The data thing might be licensing madness as others suspect.

What do you know about the mess? I confess I'm guessing it was a cost thing. Seems totally backwards where the deluxe head would have Nav and wireless goodness where the non-nav gets the cord. But nooooo.

#29 ·
Data usage how?
Hyundai doesn't want you to use Apple or Google maps, they are trying to force you to use the built-in Nav and then sell that data or results. IE: you search for food and Burger King suddenly pops to the top of the list because they paid Hyundai. In vehicles with no Nav they let you have the wireless connection because they aren't losing any search results.

I've also read articles that say its purely a money thing. The wireless connection costs more to implement and Hyundai puts that money into the GPS system and Nav updates. On vehicles with no Nav that cost gets allocated to the wireless feature. Its really silly but Nissan recently started releasing new cars with no Nav because they realized people are going to use Car Play / AA anyway so why bother building and updating a costly Nav system.

#30 ·
Hyundai puts that money into the GPS system and Nav updates.
Wait, a trade off where the wireless feature cost is offset by tethering the head with a cord but delivering OE Nav. That's crazy talk! You'd think the premium nav enabled head would demand the wireless even with additional cost to pass on. Thinking wireless with charging can't be a $200 add? You're suggesting they want to encourage factory nav use playing on us being lazy not fussing with cords. Interesting.

I don't get why they bother with Nav and updating the things when the cost must be insane. Never knew they sold our searches out for ranking. Wow!

#34 ·
What I am trying to make happen is, I currently have a sierra denali, when my android or iPhone ring, the car will answer either one. When this occurs I'm not using either carplay or android auto I have both phones connected wirelessly. I am trying to figure out if there is anyway to make this happen in my santa cruz? Is there something I can buy as an attachment that would allow both phones to be connected via Bluetooth at the same time? Thanks for help