Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife bought a WV Taos around the same time i got the SC, and since I first saw the wireless CarPlay in her car I was obsessed on finding something similar for myself. While there are quite a few options to choose from, I decided to move forward with the CarlinKit mini 3.0 and I am loving it.

I just started to use it and so far no issues. Its Bluetooth connected, so very simple to set up. The main reason I went with this option was size. The dongle is about the size of the Airpods Pro case. My plan is to use 2-sided tape and tuck it under the A/C controls, there is a pocket large enough on the top side of the USB connection that will hide it completely.

Check it out…
Automotive lighting Automotive design Motor vehicle Communication Device Vehicle door

Car Fixture Vehicle Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
You bought it from Amazon, right? If so, you should be in the return period. Exchange it for this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FG2XRBP/

Be sure to clip the coupon, it will come out to $92 before tax.

Reasons:
1) Its black, black will be easier to hide.
2) The white one is just a decontented version of the black one, same chip, features removed, put in a smaller case with smaller heatsink.
3) The smaller heatsink on the white one causes it to be more glitchy in hot summer conditions than the bigger one

I researched this a bit a little while back to find out that info that the smaller one is actually a cheapened one and yet often the same price OR HIGHER. With regard to functionality, I can confirm I see no loss in quality or performance, with the only downside being longer time to connect than wired. With a wired connection, it will typically pop up in about 5 seconds. With this one it will take 30 seconds to connect. Not a big deal though, as it takes about 30 seconds after turning on your ignition to put your seatbelt on and put the vehicle in reverse, at which point you're rock and rolling.

The Carlinkit 3.0 is the quickest and most reliable of competing devices from my research. The other option people are talking about are android units that instead of just connecting to your phone for carplay or android auto simply have native android built in. They will typically need a hotspot for internet connectivity though.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
JASmith

Thanks for the advice. On the same page and same price is one that says for model years 2021 2022.
Do you think there is a difference?
I think just the firmware they ship with, might as well get that one. I updated firmware to the latest anyway. You can check youtube its a bit dumb, when you go check updates using the QR code like the instructions that come with it indicate to, it says there are no updates, but you refresh the page and it says there are updates, so you update, and then rinse and repeat. When you refresh the page and THEN it says no updates, then you are on the latest firmware. But some people also just say if the firmware works fine, no reason to update it either.

I believe anything purchased now is under Amazon's holiday return period so you can try it risk free until January.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You bought it from Amazon, right? If so, you should be in the return period. Exchange it for this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FG2XRBP/

Reasons:
2) The white one is just a decontented version of the black one, same chip, features removed, put in a smaller case with smaller heatsink.
3) The smaller heatsink on the white one causes it to be more glitchy in hot summer conditions than the bigger one

I researched this a bit a little while back to find out that info that the smaller one is actually a cheapened one and yet often the same price OR HIGHER. With regard to functionality, I can confirm I see no loss in quality or performance, with the only downside being longer time to connect than wired. With a wired connection, it will typically pop up in about 5 seconds. With this one it will take 30 seconds to connect. Not a big deal though, as it takes about 30 seconds after turning on your ignition to put your seatbelt on and put the vehicle in reverse, at which point you're rock and rolling.

The Carlinkit 3.0 is the quickest and most reliable of competing devices from my research. The other option people are talking about are android units that instead of just connecting to your phone for carplay or android auto simply have native android built in. They will typically need a hotspot for internet connectivity though.
Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
65 Posts

Reasons:

Thanks for the info, I ended up ordering the Newer Model. from what I could tell the newer one has an updated BT/wifi adapter and more antennas to aid in better pickup

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Thanks for the info, I ended up ordering the Newer Model. from what I could tell the newer one has an updated BT/wifi adapter and more antennas to aid in better pickup
The newest model is the white one OP showed, the Carlinkit 3.0 Mini, but my opinion on it being a downgrade comes from https://www.carplaylife.com/ they have great reviews there. In the Youtube comments of his review for example the author says "The mini can’t be updated as easily as the other 3.0 so I would go with the non mini version" and "Yes, it’s (the mini version) not an upgrade. More of a low cost version of the original 3.0. And that’s their words not mine. Odd thing is it is being priced so close to the older version, for some regions it’s not cheaper at all."

So unless you can find the Carlinkit 3.0 Mini at a big discount from the regular Carlinkit 3.0, get the regular one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The newest model is the white one OP showed, the Carlinkit 3.0 Mini, but my opinion on it being a downgrade comes from https://www.carplaylife.com/ they have great reviews there. In the Youtube comments of his review for example the author says "The mini can’t be updated as easily as the other 3.0 so I would go with the non mini version" and "Yes, it’s (the mini version) not an upgrade. More of a low cost version of the original 3.0. And that’s their words not mine. Odd thing is it is being priced so close to the older version, for some regions it’s not cheaper at all."

So unless you can find the Carlinkit 3.0 Mini at a big discount from the regular Carlinkit 3.0, get the regular one.
To clarify I was talking about the two versions that they have that are not "Mini" which was item 3 on the link you supplied.

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited Hampton Grey
228 Posts
I will second the carlinkit 3.0 , regular version. This was actually my second adapter. I had a cplay2air that I used in my last car. The cplay2air had major problems in the Santa Cruz at first, though it was fixed by upgrading. The Carlinkit 3.0 worked great out of the box and had a noticeably faster startup and I feel slightly less lag, though that's tough to judge.

I put a right angle usb adapter on the port and with it tucked under the cable connector its pretty low profile. Which I think helps a bit since the space on the center tray is pretty limited to start.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Cameras & optics Personal luxury car Gear shift

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I will second the carlinkit 3.0 , regular version. This was actually my second adapter. I had a cplay2air that I used in my last car. The cplay2air had major problems in the Santa Cruz at first, though it was fixed by upgrading. The Carlinkit 3.0 worked great out of the box and had a noticeably faster startup and I feel slightly less lag, though that's tough to judge.

I put a right angle usb adapter on the port and with it tucked under the cable connector its pretty low profile. Which I think helps a bit since the space on the center tray is pretty limited to start.

View attachment 4027
Nice! Smart move on the adapter. I wonder if they make one the opposite direction, or a 90o that goes to the driver's side, then you might be able to tape the device on the underside, out of your line of sight and saving space. Can't tell from that angle if it would block your ambient lighting or not.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's still a shame this is even necessary. Someone previously reposted an article that Infiniti was offering over the air updates to enable wireless carplay on recent models.

I'm not holding out a lot of hope but you never know. Its not a huge deal as the dongle works fine. But I like clean installs and avoiding using anything after market.

·
Registered
Hampton Limited
41 Posts
I think just the firmware they ship with, might as well get that one. I updated firmware to the latest anyway. You can check youtube its a bit dumb, when you go check updates using the QR code like the instructions that come with it indicate to, it says there are no updates, but you refresh the page and it says there are updates, so you update, and then rinse and repeat. When you refresh the page and THEN it says no updates, then you are on the latest firmware. But some people also just say if the firmware works fine, no reason to update it either.

I believe anything purchased now is under Amazon's holiday return period so you can try it risk free until January.
I bought and received the 3.0 for 2021-2022. It’s a lot smaller than I was expecting and worked perfectly out of the box it’s the same size as the key fob. Thank you for the spot on advice. I am going to mount it with Velcro on the underside of the center screen just above the USB. It came with a short USB-C cord i plugged into the 3.0 and the other end into the usb on the SC
Automotive design Telephony Telephone Communication Device Personal luxury car
Hand Communication Device Sleeve Bag Gadget

·
Registered
65 Posts
I bought and received the 3.0 for 2021-2022. It’s a lot smaller than I was expecting and worked perfectly out of the box it’s the same size as the key fob. Thank you for the spot on advice. I am going to mount it with Velcro on the underside of the center screen just above the USB. It came with a short USB-C cord i plugged into the 3.0 and the other end into the usb on the SC
View attachment 4080 View attachment 4081
I just got mine in and it is spot on I am going to use a command strip to mount it to the right underside of the head unit. It is going to keep the cable up and out of the way as well and out of my reach.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this unit?
how does it compare to others mentioned above?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this unit?
how does it compare to others mentioned above?

I had one. I previously used it in a Honda. When I first moved it to the SC I had a lot of problems. It would restart every 10 or 15 minutes. However it hadn't updated in awhile and when it updated it worked perfectly fine.

I have since swapped it out for Carlinkit 3.0 because it was reported to boot a little faster and it was slightly smaller. I think the cplay2air boot is a little slower but in retrospect its not that different. So if you can get a good price on the cplay2air it works perfectly fine. But if you notice any bugs out of the box just do an update.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts