Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today when the wife and I were going out to go shopping I started the Santa Cruz and it didn't start immediately when I pushed the start/stop button like it always has in the past. I had to push it 3 times and it didn't sound right. As I was backing out of the driveway I could tell something wasn't right. Then when I was in the street and changed to D it was clear there was very little if any throttle response. It didn't matter if I pushed it to the floor it would barely go. It would go about 20 mph but that's it. Anyway I drove around the block a couple of times and it nothing changed so I go back home and shut it down. After about 5 minutes I start it again. This time it started immediately like it should and it's running fine and has been ever since. I've driven it about 60 miles and started it at least twice with no problems.

I theorize the computer got confused because the passenger door was open when I initially tried to start it and was closed at some point during my attempts to start the engine.

Long story short...my wife needs to get with the program and quit lolly gagging when it's time to go. I think this incident will finally cure her of that. ;-)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Today when the wife and I were going out to go shopping I started the Santa Cruz and it didn't start immediately when I pushed the start/stop button like it always has in the past. I had to push it 3 times and it didn't sound right. As I was backing out of the driveway I could tell something wasn't right. Then when I was in the street and changed to D it was clear there was very little if any throttle response. It didn't matter if I pushed it to the floor it would barely go. It would go about 20 mph but that's it. Anyway I drove around the block a couple of times and it nothing changed so I go back home and shut it down. After about 5 minutes I start it again. This time it started immediately like it should and it's running fine and has been ever since. I've driven it about 60 miles and started it at least twice with no problems.

I theorize the computer got confused because the passenger door was open when I initially tried to start it and was closed at some point during my attempts to start the engine.

Long story short...my wife needs to get with the program and quit lolly gagging when it's time to go. I think this incident will finally cure her of that. ;-)
I like how at the end of the post you transition from it being a Santa Cruz problem to simply blaming it on the wifey :cool:. Seriously though, hope that's all it was, and not the start of something more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like how at the end of the post you transition from it being a Santa Cruz problem to simply blaming it on the wifey :cool:. Seriously though, hope that's all it was, and not the start of something more.
Yeah, me too. I think it was a case of the timing of the passenger door being closed at the exact moment I was pushing the stop/start button the first time. I think (hoping) I just found a bug in the ignition software. In any case it's a safe bet I will ensure that door is closed before I try to start the engine.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Stinger GT2
204 Posts
Passenger door being open when starting isn't it. Sounds like your truck went into limp mode for some reason.

It will surely have thrown a code when that happened, and I'd take it in and get it checked out if I were you. Don't want to get stranded somewhere at the worst time.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yeah, me too. I think it was a case of the timing of the passenger door being closed at the exact moment I was pushing the stop/start button the first time. I think (hoping) I just found a bug in the ignition software. In any case it's a safe bet I will ensure that door is closed before I try to start the engine.
I wouldn't think that would matter though. Why would a manufacturer design a vehicle you can't start with the door open? Also doesn't explain the limp mode. Hopefully just a glitch though.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Passenger door being open when starting isn't it. Sounds like your truck went into limp mode for some reason.

It will surely have thrown a code when that happened, and I'd take it in and get it checked out if I were you. Don't want to get stranded somewhere at the worst time.
Good advice.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
185 Posts
I almost always start mine while the driver's door is still open, and haven't had any issues with it.

·
Registered
Black Limited
162 Posts
Had a similar issue twice now but in my case the radio won't go off when I shut off the car and open the door if I forget to put it all the way into park. Put it into park and then have to turn it back on and off then all is well. Ok, yeah... sure I know... I'm old! Just thought I'd pass this along as it might happen to someone (ie. you know who) someday.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I almost always start mine while the driver's door is still open, and haven't had any issues with it.
Same; often start the SC with multiple doors open just to get the AC started while putting the kids in car seats. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
1,074 Posts
Started mine with the passenger door open this morning ... no issues. Get it to the dealer. Even if they don't find anything, it will still be on your service records for warranty purposes ... or legal purposes if it turns into something that goes that way. Document everything.

·
Registered
Limited
162 Posts
It sounds like it was in 'limp mode'. It probably had a sensor for the engine/emissions/fuel system that was not within a range it wants to see. Not exactly uncommon. But hopefully, it isn't a reoccurring issue. If it is, you need to take it to the dealer to have it looked into.

I would scan it for codes. Go from there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Any check engine light on?

You might wanna take it to dealer to get diagnosed to see if there is any pending codes

1 - 14 of 14 Posts