Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
So I read the comparison review between the SC and the Maverick. Factually is was pretty much on point. But let me make this comparison.

Would you prefer a dried cardboard store bought pizza w/o flavor and toppings? Or perhaps a pizza from your favorite pizza shop made exactly to you liking? Sure the one from your favorite place might cost a little more. But, they are BOTH pizzas. You get to decide what your preference is!

I know my choice.

Gusto!

·
Registered
2022 SE AWD - Phantom Black
122 Posts
I looked at the Maverick for a hot minute. My final deciding factor was that they won't offer the hybrid with AWD. I don't want a FWD pickup. 40MPG would have been nice.

Other than that? I didn't particularly like the interior. I ran into someone who had purchased an XL with the hybrid. He let me look. Seats looked uncomfortable, screen flickered, has a CVT, so no way to select your gear. I could've probably dealt with that, if they'd made a Hybrid AWD model.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I looked at the Maverick for a hot minute. My final deciding factor was that they won't offer the hybrid with AWD. I don't want a FWD pickup. 40MPG would have been nice.

Other than that? I didn't particularly like the interior. I ran into someone who had purchased an XL with the hybrid. He let me look. Seats looked uncomfortable, screen flickered, has a CVT, so no way to select your gear. I could've probably dealt with that, if they'd made a Hybrid AWD model.
Sync 3 Audio.......Mic Drop.......

·
Registered
340 Posts
And where does the review get off saying that the Maverick has 1.5 time the volume in the bed compared to the Santa Cruz? Makes no sense to me. Yes, the bed is 6 inches longer, but unless the bed is significantly taller than the SC, I can't believe that it can actually be 50% larger in volume.

·
Registered
303 Posts

They do have hybrid awd test mules. So something wasn't up to snuff adapting the in house electric motor to the escape awd in time for the release. With the unbelievably badly botched Bronco, 2021 F150, and Maverick model debuts i think Ford will be more conservative in their releases from now on. Not take so many orders and not quote so many hard dates. But the AWD hybrid is rumored to be coming for the 2023 model, I don't know about the date. But it's coming.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As a moderator, I'm supposed to remain impartial, so I make this comment as a regular member...

Motor Biscuit is clickbait garbage "journalism". Pure junk. Don't believe or repeat anything you read there.
After they gave the max'd out price of $26,000 for the Maverick I knew they were full of it... $26,000 max'd out would probably be an XL loaded with everything. I had a Lariat Hybrid on order with some add-ons and it was $29,000 and it wasn't even close to maxed out...

·
Registered
2022 SC Limited, Black
184 Posts
Motor Biscuit is clickbait garbage "journalism". Pure junk. Don't believe or repeat anything you read there.
Exactly right. Motorbiscuit posts junk, rumors, and flat out falsehoods to drive clicks. You'll find Motorbiscuit articles making exactly opposite statements, just to drive Google matches.
Don't believe ANYTHING you read at Motorbiscuit.

·
Registered
140 Posts
As a moderator, I'm supposed to remain impartial, so I make this comment as a regular member...

Not even about my choice of pizza? LOL

Gusto!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I seriously looked at the Maverick as I was replacing a 2006 Ford Ranger. But the interior is so cheap looking, with that small screen and useless cubby hole next to it, I couldn't do it. The interior of my 16-year-old Ranger looks better than the Maverick. And to get the trim level I would have wanted in the Maverick was only about $5k less than the SC, but without near as much tech as the Cruz.

Yes, I wish the bed on the SC was a bit longer, and I wish it had an electric rear sliding window, but driving it with the turbo is a ton of fun, and it gets upper 20s MPG, 10 MPG better than my old Ranger. People love the Maverick. Good for them. I love my Cruz. Everyone's happy!

·
Administrator
230 Posts
I think it's important to remember that the Maverick is the least expensive vehicle in Ford's entire lineup - even cheaper than the Ecosport - and fills a price void left when the Fiesta and Focus were discontinued. At its core, it is an "economy car" that just happens to have an open bed. It's hard to expect much from the Maverick considering its starting price and with that in mind, I think Ford made the best use of what you get for that price.

·
Registered
100 Posts
All moot as far as I'm concerned. There are exactly eight Mavericks within a 200 mile radius of me. And one of the dealers marked the price up to $42k. It's just a farce to even discuss a vehicle that was supposed to be an ultra cheap, disposable ride for a High Schooler or Retiree that A) can't really be considered a production vehicle due to it's extremely low availability and B) is marked up to the price of a real car.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited Sage Grey
19 Posts
That motorbiscuit review is not based on actual reality.
1. The Ford Maverick is sold out until 2023 and because of that, the MSRP of the hybrid Maverick especially is INSANE. We are talking like 15k over the asking price. And you get way cheaper parts and materials than in the Hyundai Santa Cruz Limited which prices around the same. So Motorbiscuit goes by the sticker price instead of the reality price. It's just pathetic.

2. The Ford Maverick hybrid is entirely sold out, so for those that need a small truck in 2022, the Hyundai Santa Cruz is the only option in that size. Yes, the Maverick hybrid eats up less gas but the Santa Cruz still is more fuel efficient than a large or mid size truck for the most part.

3. With the back up camera systems in place, there's no need to consider the C pillar blocking the view of backing up in the Santa Cruz. It's very baby boomer thinking no offense, when you don't consider the camera technology that makes up for that.

4. Trunk space is slightly bigger in the Maverick but you have another layer of space in the Santa Cruz with the trunk within the trunk. I rather have that feature than a few more inches of trunk length as it's more practical and more commonly used as not everyone fully maximizes their truck bed length.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Unpopular opinion: the Mav and SC are not actually competitors.

All of these reviews are dumb, but the motor biscuit ones are especially bad.

The SC is a family car with a bed.
The hybrid Mav is a Prius with a bed.
The EcoBoost Mav is a hot hatchback with a bed.
I've said that exact same thing in another string and got roasted for it. I don't believe these are competitors. Nothing in that review would make me want to buy a Maverick. The article says the Mav is cheaper, less power, bigger rearview panel and bigger bed.. None of those are enough to make me want to buy one. But when I read the SC about how it's got a nice drive, nice interior, lots of safety features, got a bit of oomph in the engine, looks pretty darn cool, great for a family outing. Those are the reasons why I got the SC.

Now, if I had a landscape business or a handyman/contractor or something like that and needed a utility truck to haul my gear every day, then I'd pick the Mav over the SC. No doubt about it. I would want better mileage, bigger bed, and more tool-like feel to the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
1-by-1 let's pick apart this nonsense...

Price: an upper trim Mav is going to be within about $2-3k of SC Limited once you get done checking all the options boxes to make both vehicles equal. I've already run the numbers, feel free to do so yourself using the build tools from each manufactures website. We all know the Mav undercuts the SC at the bottom of the barrel by $5k but in the middle trims, which is where your average consumer actually buys stuff, they are pretty even price wise. Once again make sure you check the boxes to create even configurations - and there are some options the SC has the Mav doesn't even offer plus the longer warranty. Just looking at the starting price only tells half the story.

Mileage: well duh the hybrid Mav wins here. However get the upgraded turbo on both and guess what? Mileage is about the same.

Visibility: this is a valid point until you factor in the available blind spot camera on the SC.

Bed size: guess they can't read a spec sheet because the Mav's bed is 2" longer, not 5" which they later claim is 6" larger. Funny how the Mav's bed grows bigger each time they talk about it. I have no idea how the calculated the capacity since SC's brunk gives it more space without a doubt.

I've seen the bed size thing repeated so many times, multiple reviews talk about the Mav's larger bed, I think this comes from people using the upper measurement where the rolling cover canister subtracts space. Well guess what... if you put a similar cover on the Mav the result is the same. Or, for a fair comparison, use a SC model that doesn't have a cover. Point is when you equipment both a Mav and SC to be the same in terms of equipment almost all of the points they make are eliminated. Oh and the Mav has less of a tow rating, seems they forgot that truth.

The Mav's winning edge is the hybrid model where its price and mileage give it an obvious advantage, but once you move away from the base model the SC bests the Ford in almost every category. I've said time and time again the decision between the two vehicle is (in the buyers eyes) a simple styling choice: the SC is more modern and sleek with a nicer interior and better tech. The Mav is more basic and fits the traditional boxy truck look and feel. Personally I don't want another uninspired me-too-truck so I'll take the SC.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts