Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
SEL AWD
240 Posts
guess they can't read a spec sheet because the Mav's bed is 2" longer, not 5" which they later claim is 6" larger.
The SC's bed 48 inches at the top and 52 inches at the bottom with the weird cut out area. The rear window could roll down 4Runner style if they got rid of the cut out.

Price differences don't matter unless you're looking at the Mav XL on the low end or SC Limited on the high end.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Unpopular opinion: the Mav and SC are not actually competitors.

All of these reviews are dumb, but the motor biscuit ones are especially bad.

The SC is a family car with a bed.
The hybrid Mav is a Prius with a bed.
The EcoBoost Mav is a hot hatchback with a bed.

If they made the maverick with the hot hatch (focus rs) 350 hp drivetrain it might become interesting. Tune the twinster awd more like the Evoque though.. just for gravel and snow all least

In 2000 the maverick may have been hot hatch. In 2022 when you can buy a 14 second CAMRY.... it's a pretty darn cold hatch.

I seriously looked at the Maverick as I was replacing a 2006 Ford Ranger. But the interior is so cheap looking, with that small screen and useless cubby hole next to it, I couldn't do it. The interior of my 16-year-old Ranger looks better than the Maverick. And to get the trim level I would have wanted in the Maverick was only about $5k less than the SC, but without near as much tech as the Cruz.

Yes, I wish the bed on the SC was a bit longer, and I wish it had an electric rear sliding window, but driving it with the turbo is a ton of fun, and it gets upper 20s MPG, 10 MPG better than my old Ranger. People love the Maverick. Good for them. I love my Cruz. Everyone's happy!
Can't compare an 06 to a 22 on mileage. Direct injecting and cylinder deactivation coupled with 10 speed transmissions and aluminum bodies has changed the mileage landscape. . My 21 f150 with a 400 hp 5.0 gets 23 interstate minimum. I get 23 hauling a ton of feed. With just 5 passengers and luggage ive got between 24 and 26 on every road trip. Our old 2wd 2.3 liter 5 speed ranger struggles to get 25 anywhere and wouldn't pull a ton downhill. The 2.7 lt. f150 will get better than my 5.0. My 5.0 supercrew gets better mileage than my older 5 speed 4.6 liter Mustang

As far as the bed, the most sold configuration of the f150 only has a 5.5 foot box. To get an 8 foot bed you have to order a ridiculous bunch of things. Only regular cab and only the 5.0 engine (f150 has 7 engine options)

Why an electric sliding rear window? Not being mean, I'm seriously asking what use it has. All my full size club and crew cabs have one and I've found no use for them over 20 years. My 2021 has it as well. Back when we had regular cabs with manual sliders it was pretty handy for reaching back there or for camper use but with the ext cabs I never seen anyone use one other than the rare camper or bed tent

All moot as far as I'm concerned. There are exactly eight Mavericks within a 200 mile radius of me. And one of the dealers marked the price up to $42k. It's just a farce to even discuss a vehicle that was supposed to be an ultra cheap, disposable ride for a High Schooler or Retiree that A) can't really be considered a production vehicle due to it's extremely low availability and B) is marked up to the price of a real car.
Can't be considered production? Hyundai has sold 24k units total. Ford sold 40k and was released later. They sold 20k in q1. Lot availability is because Ford is intending to go to a built to order model like Tesla

I didn't watch the video. Don't care about the Maverick.

Anyone paying 42k for a Maverick is a complete idiot. You can find an on the lot 150 for that and have a far better vehicle even in stripped xl trim is more loaded than a Maverick

For 40k you buy you a new 480 hp mustang gt and a 4x4 beater used to drive in the snow. Lol. 42 for a Maverick is just dumb

·
Registered
342 Posts
The moderator has already outed motorbiscuit as being clickbait. Not really worth
I've said that exact same thing in another string and got roasted for it. I don't believe these are competitors. Nothing in that review would make me want to buy a Maverick. The article says the Mav is cheaper, less power, bigger rearview panel and bigger bed.. None of those are enough to make me want to buy one. But when I read the SC about how it's got a nice drive, nice interior, lots of safety features, got a bit of oomph in the engine, looks pretty darn cool, great for a family outing. Those are the reasons why I got the SC.

Now, if I had a landscape business or a handyman/contractor or something like that and needed a utility truck to haul my gear every day, then I'd pick the Mav over the SC. No doubt about it. I would want better mileage, bigger bed, and more tool-like feel to the vehicle.
Well said. I posted in another thread a review from another YouTube video reviewer. He made the same point that the two vehicles are not competitors. He viewed the Maverick as a work truck, something utilitarian.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The moderator has already outed motorbiscuit as being clickbait. Not really worth

Well said. I posted in another thread a review from another YouTube video reviewer. He made the same point that the two vehicles are not competitors. He viewed the Maverick as a work truck, something utilitarian.

If the two weren't competitors there wouldn't be a thousand videos comparing the two. There also wouldn't be more search hits for "maverick" than "cruz" on this very forum. Before the maverick came out everyone was saying they were competitors. Once the maverick had over 100k pre-orders in a month the competition wasn't as fun to talk about. Not to mention many of the members here only bought the Cruz because they got tired of waiting on their pre ordered Mav.

Gods honest truth, if I were buying a brand new vehicle and if I had to choose between the 22 cruz, the 22 maverick, or the Ridgeline (which I think is closer to ranger, tacoma, Frontier at this point) I'd choose ....... drumroll please.....

A NEW 04-06 baja turbo 5 speed. Hands down. New enough to have electronic COP and variable intake timing but not over complicated versions of it. Old school enough to keep the internal vacuum controlled wastegate. Simple Air/Air top mount intercooler. Mechanical AWD. Low slung flat boxer..... clutch pedal. Etc etc etc. **** the head gaskets and timing belt. But you win some / lose some.

And that's coming from a subaru mechanic who despises subaru since about 2010.

The maverick is a budget "made in Mexico" to be the cheapest Ford price point. No awd with the only interesting engine, and ugly. Every complaint I've heard is from being built to the price point. Thin metal, paint isn't Jaguar smooth, terrible cheap interior etc etc.

The Cruz is a great chassis. Excellent interior. Good ride. But an unproven cvvd design. New and unproven trans, and the engine is a barely changed version of the Theta, the most recalled engine in history. Most of the complaints I see are "lost power in the middle of the road" or "I get 20mpg v8 mileage with 180hp weak 4 cylinder power"

Either one is a roll of the dice at best. Most vehicles are. But some are worse than others.

The maverick and the full electric mach e are both built on some form of the c2 chassis. (The ge1 platform is a reworked c2) Ford has said another ev pickup was coming this year. More are coming. Their lightning is sold out for years. And the f150 is the best selling vehicle in the US since the 70s.
Long story shortened....I believe the only thing keeping us from a full EV maverick is the fact that adding any to the cost of the maverick makes it even less appealing. However having a bunch of ev maverick gets your CAFE average down so that you can build that v8 GT, flat plane mustangs, v8 civilian assault vehicles like the expedition,
and v8 raptors

·
Registered
SEL AWD
240 Posts
If they made the maverick with the hot hatch (focus rs) 350 hp drivetrain it might become interesting. Tune the twinster awd more like the Evoque though.. just for gravel and snow all least

In 2000 the maverick may have been hot hatch. In 2022 when you can buy a 14 second CAMRY.... it's a pretty darn cold hatch.

Can't compare an 06 to a 22 on mileage. Direct injecting and cylinder deactivation coupled with 10 speed transmissions and aluminum bodies has changed the mileage landscape. . My 21 f150 with a 400 hp 5.0 gets 23 interstate minimum. I get 23 hauling a ton of feed. With just 5 passengers and luggage ive got between 24 and 26 on every road trip. Our old 2wd 2.3 liter 5 speed ranger struggles to get 25 anywhere and wouldn't pull a ton downhill. The 2.7 lt. f150 will get better than my 5.0. My 5.0 supercrew gets better mileage than my older 5 speed 4.6 liter Mustang

As far as the bed, the most sold configuration of the f150 only has a 5.5 foot box. To get an 8 foot bed you have to order a ridiculous bunch of things. Only regular cab and only the 5.0 engine (f150 has 7 engine options)

Why an electric sliding rear window? Not being mean, I'm seriously asking what use it has. All my full size club and crew cabs have one and I've found no use for them over 20 years. My 2021 has it as well. Back when we had regular cabs with manual sliders it was pretty handy for reaching back there or for camper use but with the ext cabs I never seen anyone use one other than the rare camper or bed tent

Can't be considered production? Hyundai has sold 24k units total. Ford sold 40k and was released later. They sold 20k in q1. Lot availability is because Ford is intending to go to a built to order model like Tesla

I didn't watch the video. Don't care about the Maverick.

Anyone paying 42k for a Maverick is a complete idiot. You can find an on the lot 150 for that and have a far better vehicle even in stripped xl trim is more loaded than a Maverick

For 40k you buy you a new 480 hp mustang gt and a 4x4 beater used to drive in the snow. Lol. 42 for a Maverick is just dumb
If the two weren't competitors there wouldn't be a thousand videos comparing the two. There also wouldn't be more search hits for "maverick" than "cruz" on this very forum. Before the maverick came out everyone was saying they were competitors. Once the maverick had over 100k pre-orders in a month the competition wasn't as fun to talk about. Not to mention many of the members here only bought the Cruz because they got tired of waiting on their pre ordered Mav.

Gods honest truth, if I were buying a brand new vehicle and if I had to choose between the 22 cruz, the 22 maverick, or the Ridgeline (which I think is closer to ranger, tacoma, Frontier at this point) I'd choose ....... drumroll please.....

A NEW 04-06 baja turbo 5 speed. Hands down.

And that's coming from a subaru mechanic who despises subaru since about 2010.

The maverick is a budget "made in Mexico" to be the cheapest Ford price point. No awd with the only interesting engine, and ugly. Every complaint I've heard is from being built to the price point. Thin metal, paint isn't Jaguar smooth, terrible cheap interior etc etc.

The Cruz is a great chassis. Excellent interior. Good ride. But an unproven cvvd design. New and unproven trans, and the engine is a barely changed version of the Theta, the most recalled engine in history. Most of the complaints I see are "lost power in the middle of the road" or "I get 20mpg v8 mileage with 180hp weak 4 cylinder power"

Either one is a roll of the dice at best.

The maverick and the full electric mach e are both built on some form of the c2 chassis. (The ge1 platform is a reworked c2) Ford has said another ev pickup was coming this year. More are coming. Their lightning is sold out for years. And the f150 is the best selling vehicle in the US since the 70s.
Long story shortened....I believe the only thing keeping us from a full EV maverick is the fact that adding any to the cost of the maverick makes it even less appealing. However having a bunch of ev maverick gets your CAFE average down so that you can build that v8 GT, flat plane mustangs, v8 civilian assault vehicles like the expedition,
and v8 raptors
You really need to TLDR these bad boys.

·
Registered
311 Posts
You really need to TLDR these bad boys.

Agreed. But I'm a supervisor who is commanded by upper management to not be on the floor. (Which is the most ignorant and short sighted way to run a production facility ive ever encountered. Several of my fellow supervisors have been fired for being on the floor too much) So im paid to sit in an office. 12 hours must be filled. And it's a forum. If your in a hurry then a forum isn't a good place to go.

I'm also an engineer and technician. Nothing is tldr. Lol. I could fill 12 hours on simple things like the advantages and disadvantages of internal/ external wastegate

But I do agree, I don't excel at short answers. Very little black and white

·
Registered
SEL AWD
240 Posts
Agreed. But I'm a supervisor who is commanded by upper management to not be on the floor. (Which is the most ignorant and short sighted way to run a production facility ive ever encountered. Several of my fellow supervisors have been fired for being on the floor too much) So im paid to sit in an office. 12 hours must be filled. And it's a forum. If your in a hurry then a forum isn't a good place to go.

I'm also an engineer and technician. Nothing is tldr. Lol. I could fill 12 hours on simple things like the advantages and disadvantages of internal/ external wastegate

But I do agree, I don't excel at short answers. Very little black and white
IDK about you but I fill my work shift with work. A forum is a place for discussion; not your manifesto about the Subaru Baja.

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I actually thought they were making these again since there so much talk about the Baja...I went to Subaru to check it out...LOL The only Baja I remember was the older ones with the death trap seat in the bed..lol

·
Registered
311 Posts
Well, ya see how much interest I have in those two lol

The Baja was very comparable to the Cruz. More so than any other vehicle IMO. Turbo 4 cylinder, 4 door, nice interior in upper trims. AWD. Small unibody. Nimble. Quick-ish.

The brat was before I was wrenching on Subaru. Looks more like the old vw trucks. And yeah, I wouldn't like being in those seats

·
Registered
311 Posts
IDK about you but I fill my work shift with work. A forum is a place for discussion; not your manifesto about the Subaru Baja.
Sit in an office for 12 hours and make 6 figures pretty much just for sending a report after shift and doing payroll or leave the office and get fired for leaving the office.....

I'll just work on my days off.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
The Baja was very comparable to the Cruz. More so than any other vehicle IMO. Turbo 4 cylinder, 4 door, nice interior in upper trims. AWD. Small unibody. Nimble. Quick-ish.

The brat was before I was wrenching on Subaru. Looks more like the old vw trucks. And yeah, I wouldn't like being in those seats
Never owned one, But I've always liked the looks and pricing on Subaru, If a Baja did come back I would have to take a look :)..

·
Registered
311 Posts
Never owned one, But I've always liked the looks and pricing on Subaru, If a Baja did come back I would have to take a look :)..
A new one would be the newer FA engine. Variable valve timing on all 4 cams. Maybe even with their terrible cvt trans. Lol. Could be a compete train wreck. Who knows. But their great at building a good turbo engine, consistently been using turbo for many years. The old Baja was only built 4 years. had the ej engine which they ran for 20 years. And either the 4eat trans or a 5 speed. Good reliable vehicles and easy to fix. Great handling. Mileage was pretty mediocre for a 4 cylinder but on par with the what most of us get in the Cruz. The baja was a complete sales failure. 30k units total over a 4 year run while they alloted to make that many yearly. Lol Most were the NA version. No idea why really . Only issues were the head gaskets would fail usually between 100k and 200k. The replacements were different and lasted fine. They were an interference engine too so a timing belt failure was catastrophic. Most 4 and 6 cylinder were then though. And both of those issues were across the Subaru line up. Subaru put the ej25 in every vehicle they made.

I don't know how many brat they made. I do know it actually had a longer production life than the baja. Sadly.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
A new one would be the newer FA engine. Variable valve timing on all 4 cams. Maybe even with their terrible cvt trans. Lol. Could be a compete train wreck. Who knows. But their great at building a good turbo engine, consistently been using turbo for many years. The old Baja was only built 4 years. had the ej engine which they ran for 20 years. And either the 4eat trans or a 5 speed. Good reliable vehicles and easy to fix. Great handling. Mileage was pretty mediocre for a 4 cylinder but on par with the what most of us get in the Cruz. The baja was a complete sales failure. 30k units total over a 4 year run while they alloted to make that many yearly. Lol Most were the NA version. No idea why really . Only issues were the head gaskets would fail usually between 100k and 200k. The replacements were different and lasted fine. They were an interference engine too so a timing belt failure was catastrophic. Most 4 and 6 cylinder were then though. And both of those issues were across the Subaru line up. Subaru put the ej25 in every vehicle they made.

I don't know how many brat they made. I do know it actually had a longer production life than the baja. Sadly.
I did a little Autotrader search.. the Lowest mileage on one was 109,000 miles but most were in the 170,000 plus area....Just speaks to the build quality .... and of course they are 16+ years old..

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
As for competition Hyundai's own sales documents (see attached) has: the Maverick, Gladiator, Ridgeline and Tacoma. To say the Mav is not competition for the SC is crazy talk, they are - on paper - pretty much identical.

On vehicle nobody mentions is the old Ford Sport Trac. There is one in my neighborhood and other then being BOF its size is very close to a SC.

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
I did a little Autotrader search.. the Lowest mileage on one was 109,000 miles but most were in the 170,000 plus area....Just speaks to the build quality .... and of course they are 16+ years old..

Subaru couldn't give them away. The last one I saw sale at my dealer new sold for 2/3 the window sticker and sat for a year. Lol. The last one I had towed into my shop (automatic/ turbo) was bought, engine seized, for 10k. Then a rebuilt engine is nearly 4k. They sale for stupid high prices now. It would be hard to find a 100k-200k mile turbo 5 speed for under 20k..... about what they sold for new.

Check out used ones. Lol. They do have nice comfy interiors. Very similar to the Cruz. A pass through in the bed allowed long things to be hauled too

·
Registered
43 Posts
As for competition Hyundai's own sales documents (see attached) has: the Maverick, Gladiator, Ridgeline and Tacoma. To say the Mav is not competition for the SC is crazy talk, they are - on paper - pretty much identical.

On vehicle nobody mentions is the old Ford Sport Trac. There is one in my neighborhood and other then being BOF its size is very close to a SC.
Another one nobody mentions

Attachments

21 - 40 of 52 Posts