Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
In all fairness that's an ugly base 4 door. Same could done too the Nova or chevelle. Lol. Find an ugly late 70s (like the one beside the maverick in your pic) 4 door and then call all Nova ugly. Not nice. Lol

View attachment 11283

Not all Maverick were ugly... just most.

Id still take the old one over the new one anyday
The ugly part was the huge puddle of oil under it and the $5500 "as is" price sticker on the window.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There also wouldn't be more search hits for "maverick" than "cruz" on this very forum.

Not that I disagree with the original point, but using the name "Santa Cruz" in the titles of posts in the Santa Cruz forums is redundant, and a ton of posts just leave the name out entirely or abbreviate to SC.

This isn't the point you think it is.

That said, these are absolutely competition for each other and folks in this sub are weird about the Maverick.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not that I disagree with the original point, but using the name "Santa Cruz" in the titles of posts in the Santa Cruz forums is redundant, and a ton of posts just leave the name out entirely or abbreviate to SC.

This isn't the point you think it is.

That said, these are absolutely competition for each other and folks in this sub are weird about the Maverick.
I honestly didn't try searching. I just know that every thread, since I've been here which is close to a year, has Mentioned the Maverick.

I bet there are many many results for "Mav" though. Lol

The ugly part was the huge puddle of oil under it and the $5500 "as is" price sticker on the window.
Probably had a thriftpower inline 6 too. Not nice enough to have the 302. The maverick/ comet never got any love. Even the ugly falcon and even worse...Torino sold better

If the car was on your trip through TN. I frequent the area and have land there. Any car over 5 years old that isn't rusted completly apart brings a good sum. Road salt and such destroyed all our junk.

5500 for ANY non gt maverick would shock me. Much less a 4 door. More power to them

How much was the ugly Nova beside it? I have a couple of those I took the engines from for other builds. You could get those for 50 bucks or just to haul off, 20 years ago and take the 350/305 and turbo 350/400 for projects. Lol. Even back then ANY other body style of Nova was 5k or more in poor shape. except the abomination that they imported in the 80s. Everyone hates that late 70s body

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SE NA-FWD In Idaho
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
As for competition Hyundai's own sales documents (see attached) has: the Maverick, Gladiator, Ridgeline and Tacoma. To say the Mav is not competition for the SC is crazy talk, they are - on paper - pretty much identical.

On vehicle nobody mentions is the old Ford Sport Trac. There is one in my neighborhood and other then being BOF its size is very close to a SC.
Before I bought the SC and Ordered the Maverick..My wife knew I wanted to dump my Avalanche Black Diamond...and She told me she saw a Nice smaller Ford P/U... I finally figured out it was the Sport-Trac... but I remember it being a dog...gas-hog etc.., and haven't been made in a few years... So I bagged that Idea.. good MPG was one of my Wants...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yep before they became fullsize...
They sure did. I had a fleet truck get totaled and the insurance gave me the first Colorado id seen for a rental. Was nearly as big a the gmt800s we were using. Had a 5 cylinder that I thought was perfect for a car. Great top end. I don't know if they ever used it in a car though. I never saw one if they did.

A lot of these though, sport trac, s10, and Gladiator are body on frame. May be competition. Maybe not. Idk. Ridgeline, baja, Cruz, Maverick etc are unibody.

The Gladiator (i have a Rubicon) is a terrible handling, riding and driving vehicle that is perfectly at home offroad. It may be direct competition but the over lap has to be minimal. If you want to go offroad then the Maverick and cruz (or baja) don't come any closer to the jeep than a Mustang or camaro would. Other than a g wagon the locked front and rear jeep is probably the most capable vehicle made now. A foot of ground clearance and the tires mounted on the farthest extremities give it approach and departure angles that are not possible with anything else . I can't imagine anyone narrowing their choice down to the Gladiator or Cruz. Seems like narrowing it down to a prius or a corvette.... both 2 door but that's about it. Most Gladiator I've seen cost as much as 2 maverick. My f150 feels closer to the Cruz than my Rubicon does. By a lot. My wife and dad both refuse to even drive the Rubicon. Lol. Hard to compare any vehicle with a front straight axle to one with independent suspension. If I were taking mine to California to wheel again....id most likely pull it there rather than drive it.

I've worked on several sport trac. Never had any desire to get one. They had the 4.0 and 4.6. Both great engines. Probably offered others too. Nothing spectacular on power. Even the 4.6 was barely over 300hp. Many 4.6 police/ taxi etc and mustang/f150 are still on the road over 300k miles. They shared a lot of parts with the f150 too.

Every true 4 door s10 I saw had the 4.3. Great motor but I never saw one get decent mileage . Even in the little blazer. About a billion of those still on the road too.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Yep before they became fullsize...
There were once mini-trucks, aka compacts (S10, Mazda B2200, Ranger, etc) and full size trucks (F150, various Rams), then came the mid-sizers like the Tacoma and the Dakota. Over time full sizers became huge, mini-trucks disappears and mid-sizers occupied no man's land. The SC and the Mav are almost like a reset button, somewhere between a true mid-sizer and a compact truck. Its a market that was always there but just wasn't being served as the bigger-is-better crowd bought huge trucks in an effort to impress others and out do their neighbors.

Like many ideas Subaru's Baja was just ahead of its time. Also coming from an odd, small Japanese brand its success was limited. If Toyota, Chevy or Ford had release it instead the CUV craze might have been an SAV craze. I think of a Baja as more a station wagon or hatchback with a bed vs what the SC is - a CUV with a bed. However a CUV is really just a lifted wagon or hatchback anyway but those style vehicles fell out of favor years ago despite being one of the most versatile vehicle configurations around.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I honestly didn't try searching. I just know that every thread, since I've been here which is close to a year, has Mentioned the Maverick.

I bet there are many many results for "Mav" though. Lol

Probably had a thriftpower inline 6 too. Not nice enough to have the 302. The maverick/ comet never got any love. Even the ugly falcon and even worse...Torino sold better

If the car was on your trip through TN. I frequent the area and have land there. Any car over 5 years old that isn't rusted completly apart brings a good sum. Road salt and such destroyed all our junk.

5500 for ANY non gt maverick would shock me. Much less a 4 door. More power to them

How much was the ugly Nova beside it? I have a couple of those I took the engines from for other builds. You could get those for 50 bucks or just to haul off, 20 years ago and take the 350/305 and turbo 350/400 for projects. Lol. Even back then ANY other body style of Nova was 5k or more in poor shape. except the abomination that they imported in the 80s. Everyone hates that late 70s body
it was in an out of biz car lot in Morristown TN. Only cars on the lot were the Nova,Mav,Buick out, and a BMW X5.
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sure. I think it's perfectly natural to compare the two vehicles. They are both small, truck-like vehicles. But I do not think they compete with each other for buyers.

In general, the person who would buy a SC would not be interested in a Maverick. Like me for example. I was not looking for a bare-bones, utility vehicle. I wanted something that drove like a nice SUV but had some truck-like abilities for the rare weekends that I want to go kayaking with my family. I would never in a million years buy a Maverick. Just not what I needed. I considered the Honda Ridgeline, the Nissan Frontier and Toyota Tacoma as other vehicles. But ultimately, I decided on the SC because it was most like a nice SUV than the others.

As I mentioned before.. If I was looking for a suitable truck for my landscaping business or my handyman contracting business, then I would most likely buy a Maverick over the SC. Two different needs and two different situations.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
But I do not think they compete with each other for buyers.
They are in direct competition... if you make a venn diagram of SC and Mav size, features, functions, cost, use case, etc there is a good 80% overlap. The 20% exclusion zone are owners that are looking for either a cheaper vehicle, need hybrid MPG or want something nicer/more upscale (you, me, most on this site). However without the obvious and massive styling (both interior and exterior) differences the SC and Mav might as well be twins. Its only because of those polarizing styling choices that someone looking at SC would never accept a Mav and vise versa. Countless YT comments back this up and these sub-group of buyers (fan boys) tends to very vocal about the other vehicle being totally unacceptable.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts