Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'22 SC Limited Hampton Gray
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any new or special interest vehicle I have purchased gets a "full vehicle wrap" which is the entire vehicle, ie: ALL painted surfaces. The Santa Cruz complete wrap includes: ALL painted surfaces on the vehicle, headlights, DRLs and all "smoked chrome" trim. Many pieces were hand cut and trimmed. It is topped off with a ceramic coating for protection and ease of maintenance.

"Why would one do this?!" you ask, right?!

This film uses a self-healing automotive clear coat that recovers from swirls and light scratches in the surface that would otherwise have to be buffed out. The clear coat employs special elastomeric polymers that "heal" over time eliminating swirl marks and other fine scratches without having to do anything.

Additionally, it has a very low surface energy (kind of like a teflon pan has) that allows contaminants and stains to wipe off very easily. This is what allows the film to shrug off things like ink and egg stains that would ruin a paint job. It works similarly on bird droppings, bug stains or anything else your car would encounter in the real world.

The paint does not have to be in absolutely perfect condition; light swirls are not a concern, as the clearcoat properties of the film "hide" or fill in any minor surface imperfections. Deeper scratches are minimized under the film, but rock chips are very noticeable. Luckily with only 400 miles, I have none of these issues present. The entire vehicle gets a clay bar treatment to remove any surface contaminents prior to application.

This product carries a 10 year warranty against, yellowing, cracking, peeling, staining, and hazing; covering both film and labor.

I am extremely OCD when it comes to maintaining my vehicles, and this product has allowed me to "lighten up" a little bit when it comes to polishing, waxing, and trying to maintain that showroom perfect finish, as the film virtually does it for itself.

I am sure this seems like an extreme measure to some, but to me it makes sense to have a Factory fresh finish without all of the intense labor and time that goes with it. It also allows me to enjoy the vehicle without worries.

Link for product here: https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film/ultimate-plus
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light
Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Vehicle
Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Gorgeous! Could you provide links to your regiment for others?
Be more than happy to. (y) :)

Xpel PPF: https://www.xpel.com/products/paint-protection-film/ultimate-plus
Ceramic coating: Meguiar's Hybrid Paint Coating
Wash (2 bucket method): Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wash & Wax, 48 oz.
Wash (waterless method): Meguiar's Ultimate Waterless Wash & Wax, 26 oz.
Wax: Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax, 16 oz.
Maintain: Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Detailer, 26 oz.
Wheel & tire cleaning: Meguiar's Ultimate All Wheel Cleaner
Tire dressing: Meguiar's Ultimate Black Tire Coating, 8 oz.
Plastic trim: Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer (Aerosol), 10 oz.
Glass: Meguiar's Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner, 24 oz.
Leather & vinyl interior: Meguiar's Ultimate Leather Detailer, 16 oz.

I am sure there are as many opinions on products as there are products available; I can just speak for what works for me. Hope this information helps others. :)

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So how much does it cost?
I am sure it varies per region. If interested, I would suggest contacting a few installers in your area.

·
Registered
2022 Limited
131 Posts
Hey SmoovC (funnily similar usernames, haha). Can you share a little more about the costs you paid for the installation? Here in Seattle Washington I was quoted $8,000 by one installer and $5,000 by another after I basically forced them to look at the Xpel website and see the precut kits for the Santa Cruz. Both installers wanted $1,500 to do the entire vehicle front and backsides of the side view mirrors. The jump from $1,500 to $5,000-8,000 seems alarmingly high to me but maybe that’s on par with what others are seeing.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey SmoovC (funnily similar usernames, haha). Can you share a little more about the costs you paid for the installation? Here in Seattle Washington I was quoted $8,000 by one installer and $5,000 by another after I basically forced them to look at the Xpel website and see the precut kits for the Santa Cruz. Both installers wanted $1,500 to do the entire vehicle front and backsides of the side view mirrors. The jump from $1,500 to $5,000-8,000 seems alarmingly high to me but maybe that’s on par with what others are seeing.
Great username! ;)(y) I don't think the pricing you were quoted is out of line at all. Xpel does not have patterning for the complete SC as of yet, so hand cut is the only option for what's not listed on their site. Given that, the quality of the finished product is in direct correlation to the talent and experience level of the installer.

Some additional considerations:
1) Is all of the black chrome included? Given as how there has been evidence on this site as to the incidents of chipping and peeling on these surfaces, I would consider it a requirement.
2) Are they removing the exterior door handles so they can wrap the doors in one piece, with no relief cuts and seams? Makes for a much cleaner finished product, but does add to the cost.
3) Are they wrapping the roof in one piece? It takes extra time and talent to do so, as the structural ridges pose a challenge.
4) Are they wrapping into the jambs and around the edges of panels, as opposed to right to the edge? Edge coverage is very important, as that is where the paint is the thinnest.

Also, keep in mind the area you are looking in. Seattle, Bellevue and surrounding areas in King County all have high costs of doing business; it may make fiscal sense to look outside of the metro areas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts