Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is a PHYSICAL Card (like a credit card) I didn't think it was available for Santa Cruz- I use mine on my Tucson EVERYDAY! I keep it by my phone's charger at night, and slip it in back pocket every day. So convenient for those times car is locked and phone & key fob is anywhere BUT where i am...lol You can even drive away with JUST that card : )

(PART # L0H81-AK000 WEBSITE LINK: Genuine Nfc Key Card for 2021-2022 Hyundai | Part# L0H81-AK000 | Hyundai OEM Parts Direct Note: There will be a "check if this part fits vehicle" drop down box- Ignore that, there is ONLY one Part# and it works for ALL : )

Its a little quirky to set up, u may have to try a few time, i sure did...lol
  1. Start your vehicle.
  2. Make sure you have your primary smartphone with the Hyundai Digital Key app loaded in the vehicle.
  3. In the app, select the Pair NFC Key Card via BLE section from the side menu.
  4. Place your card on the wireless changer.
  5. Pairing will occur automatically.
Once you do it, its paired forever : ) ONLY one card allowed paired per vehicle (not sure why THAT is)

Below is Hyundai Market Rep talking about KEY CARD at 3:48 in this video
(Also, not sure why even he says "you can't use iphone for remote actions" since he is a Hyundai Guy, i think he's confused about My Hyundai Ap vs Digital Key (both apps do SAME thing, just one uses My Hyundai Servers while Hyundai Dig Key uses the onboard NFC chip in the vehicle) But i use my iphone and Apple watch everyday even tho everyone said you can ONLY use Android for remote actions)

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
nice, but you still need an Android phone to set up, correct?

that means iOS users are still out of luck

·
Registered
2020 Kia Telluride/2014 Chevrolet SS
21 Posts
This is a PHYSICAL Card (like a credit card) I didn't think it was available for Santa Cruz- I use mine on my Tucson EVERYDAY! I keep it by my phone's charger at night, and slip it in back pocket every day. So convenient for those times car is locked and phone & key fob is anywhere BUT where i am...lol You can even drive away with JUST that card : )

(PART # L0H81-AK000 WEBSITE LINK: Genuine Nfc Key Card for 2021-2022 Hyundai | Part# L0H81-AK000 | Hyundai OEM Parts Direct Note: There will be a "check if this part fits vehicle" drop down box- Ignore that, there is ONLY one Part# and it works for ALL : )

1. Start your vehicle.
  2. Make sure you have your primary smartphone with the Hyundai Digital Key app loaded in the vehicle.
Once you do it, its paired forever : ) ONLY one card allowed paired per vehicle (not sure why THAT is)
View attachment 2032

(Also, not sure why even he says "you can't use iphone for remote actions" since he is a Hyundai Guy, i think he's confused about My Hyundai Ap vs Digital Key (both apps do SAME thing, just one uses My Hyundai Servers while Hyundai Dig Key uses the onboard NFC chip in the vehicle) But i use my iphone and Apple watch everyday even tho everyone said you can ONLY use Android for remote actions)
Did the key card come with directions other than what you stated?

In the description, it says this: “Works on vehicles equipped with Digital Key. Allows you to unlock and start your car with a credit card-sized NFC key. Perfect for any time you do not want to carry the paired phone, or for users with iPhones. One NFC Key Card can be paired per vehicle.”

Presumably most users with iPhones don‘t just have a random Android phone laying around to set this up with, and it appears to be marketed toward people who have iPhones.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did the key card come with directions other than what you stated?

In the description, it says this: “Works on vehicles equipped with Digital Key. Allows you to unlock and start your car with a credit card-sized NFC key. Perfect for any time you do not want to carry the paired phone, or for users with iPhones. One NFC Key Card can be paired per vehicle.”

Presumably most users with iPhones don‘t just have a random Android phone laying around to set this up with, and it appears to be marketed toward people who have iPhones.
i have BOTH android & iphone so i used the Digital key ap to set it but have not used it since. I read somewhere you can borrow Android to set up the key card, becuz it is a "set it & forget it" task....

No directions came with Key Card but a million vids on how to set it up with Sonata on youtube....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice, but you still need an Android phone to set up, correct?

that means iOS users are still out of luck
i guess if no one close to you has an Android, maybe so BUT of everyone i KNOW its split down the middle : ) You do USE ur iphone for remote start/locking and such, tho, right?! (just curious : )

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
i have BOTH android & iphone so i used the Digital key ap to set it but have not used it since. I read somewhere you can borrow Android to set up the key card, becuz it is a "set it & forget it" task....

No directions came with Key Card but a million vids on how to set it up with Sonata on youtube....
ok, time to get myself an android just for that, my guess is that not all android supports NFC? so gotta find the cheapst NFC android

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok, time to get myself an android just for that, my guess is that not all android supports NFC? so gotta find the cheapst NFC android
If you wanted the Key Card enough, you would need an Android (yes, WITH NFC) because the Hyundai Digital Key app is ONLY on the play store. But honestly, it can't be more than a 15 minute "borrow" - u could even return it after set up if you found one to purchase without a restocking fee : )

I was just also making the point because that iphone works for ALL remote actions thru the MyHyundai app and so many do not know this because they are always saying "you need an Android" so i was hoping with my post would "clear up" the confusion, but i think i failed...lol

·
Registered
2022 Limited Blue Stone
572 Posts
If you wanted the Key Card enough, you would need an Android (yes, WITH NFC) because the Hyundai Digital Key app is ONLY on the play store. But honestly, it can't be more than a 15 minute "borrow" - u could even return it after set up if you found one to purchase without a restocking fee : )

I was just also making the point because that iphone works for ALL remote actions thru the MyHyundai app and so many do not know this because they are always saying "you need an Android" so i was hoping with my post would "clear up" the confusion, but i think i failed...lol
Yes, I think I understood the difference between this NFC digital key and MyHyundai app
the app is on both android and iOS and functionality should be similar, just unlock, lock and check status etc.

the NFC key is actually a key that will allow you to drive the vehicle. I think it's worth it to have the NFC card paired just so I don't have to worry about getting wet with phones or battery-powered key fob when going tubing or swimming.
The downside I think is that you have to actually pull out the NFC card and get it near the door handle to engage? vs key fob in your pocket

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I think I understood the difference between this NFC digital key and MyHyundai app
the app is on both android and iOS and functionality should be similar, just unlock, lock and check status etc.

the NFC key is actually a key that will allow you to drive the vehicle. I think it's worth it to have the NFC card paired just so I don't have to worry about getting wet with phones or battery-powered key fob when going tubing or swimming.
The downside I think is that you have to actually pull out the NFC card and get it near the door handle to engage? vs key fob in your pocket
Yes, yes, & yes : ) For me & my use case, no more cumbersome than trying to open app, tap, (possibly drop my phone - (1st class klutz here : ) but i agree, its not perfect for all use cases, but i'd sure miss it if i went to a vehicle that didn't have it... In my video i say how many times when we are outside my husband will say "got your car key" to move or get something from my car and i never have my phone OR keyfob, but i ALWAYS have my NFC card in back pocket... Has come in handy many times : )

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz Ultimate (Limited in the US)
772 Posts
I wonder what type of NFC chip is in that Hyundai card ... and if you can program any NFC chip to do the job. IE: I have a bunch of NFC stickers I picked up on Amazon years back and have them programmed for things like toggling do not disturb mode/launch Spotify/toggle my Philips Hue bulbs on and off/etc. There are only so many tag formats out there, and I doubt they're using anything terribly custom for the job. Could be an interesting experiment...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wonder what type of NFC chip is in that Hyundai card ... and if you can program any NFC chip to do the job. IE: I have a bunch of NFC stickers I picked up on Amazon years back and have them programmed for things like toggling do not disturb mode/launch Spotify/toggle my Philips Hue bulbs on and off/etc. There are only so many tag formats out there, and I doubt they're using anything terribly custom for the job. Could be an interesting experiment...
How funny- that EXACT thought popped in to my head yesterday... And if you try it, try it a bunch of times cuz EVEN with the actual card took me multiple attempts, so don't trust ur first result : )

·
Registered
37 Posts

1. Start your vehicle.
View attachment 2032

From the owners manual:

If you have not registered the digital key (smartphone), please register the digital key (card key) with two smart keys.
looks like somehow using 2 smart keys will allow programming of the key card without an Android?!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From the owners manual:

If you have not registered the digital key (smartphone), please register the digital key (card key) with two smart keys.
looks like somehow using 2 smart keys will allow programming of the key card without an Android?!
not really sure about that, i read that sentence 3 times, still couldn't tell you what it is ACTUALLY saying...lol

I just know that to program the NFC Card, you need the "Hyundai Digital Ap to do so, once you go to the prompt inside of the infotainment, it asks you to "open Hyundai Digital Key ap on your phone. Since iphone ONLY offers My Hyundai ap on the Apple Store, i don't see HOW you could work around it IF you didn't have an Android phone with the App open as you were trying to program the card : )

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz SEL Premium AWD 2.5T Blue Stone
118 Posts
I have about 2500 proximity cards for the printers (and security doors) at work, and I wonder if they could be programmed like the Digital Key Card for the Santa Cruz?

They're a whole lot cheaper than what Hyundai is charging.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have about 2500 proximity cards for the printers (and security doors) at work, and I wonder if they could be programmed like the Digital Key Card for the Santa Cruz?

They're a whole lot cheaper than what Hyundai is charging.

View attachment 2110
Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Do you have an Android?! Try it & report back : )

·
Registered
772 Posts
It will really depend on the format of the tags they're using. From memory, last time I looked into buying blank tags to play with, there are several different standards. Each one programs a little differently, each one has a different amount of memory, etc. So the trick is trying to find out which standard Hyundai is using - or if they've come up with something proprietary to prevent the homebrew-inclined among us from doing just this sort of thing.

Found this forum discussion on the topic - Digital Key - Key Card Duplication | Hyundai Forums (hyundai-forums.com) - and while it sounds like they're pretty standard chips, you may need some special equipment to clone it fully. Looks like they have some software gatekeepers at work that only allow a maximum of three keys to be paired to a vehicle, two fobs and one card. So it would have to be read and cloned vs. simply programmed. From a security/theft prevention perspective, it's not a bad system. But more than three keys would be awesome where you have families where you may have 4 or even 5 drivers in the house.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wanted to get the Key Card for our new Hampton Limited. I asked my dealer for the included NFC Key Card and they said they contacted Hyundai and they said currently the NFC Key Card is not compatible with the Santa Cruz. I was bummed but I didn't want to wait.

I went to the dealer in Long Beach CA and picked up the NFC Digital Key Card for $30.00 plus tax. I use an iPhone which doesn't work with the Digital Key yet.
I borrowed a friend's Android turned on their NFC in settings and downloaded the Digital Key App from Google Play. I paired their phone via Bluetooth to our SC, and followed the tutorial to register the phone as a digital key on my Limited SC. Next step was to verify the phone worked to open and close the vehicle (it did).

Now, it was the Key Card's turn. It required to verify the Android Phone was present via Bluetooth or NFC, I chose NFC. It then said to place the NFC Key Card in the charger slot. About ten seconds later it said the NFC Key Card was paired and saved. I checked the doors and the Key Card works on both front doors to lock and unlock (I made sure the proximity key was in my office far away).

Here's where it gets sad and I need assistance from someone on the forum. The key card does not get recognized when placed in the charger slot. It says there is no key. Did I do something wrong or was the Hyundai dealer correct in saying the Key Card is not compatible?

edit: Maybe it needed time to register but I went out after I posted this and tried again. First, (without the Proximity Smart Key) I used the Android Phone. I unlocked the door with the Key Card, I placed the Android Phone in the charger, stepped on the brake, pressed the start button and the car started. I turned off the car and tried it again, it started. Now I removed the Android phone and placed the key in the charger slot, pressed the brake and button and it STARTED!! Tried it three times and each time the SC started! I deleted the APP on the borrowed Android Phone and returned it, went back to the SC, used the Key Card to unlock and placed the card in the charger slot, it STARTED!! I'm stoked!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry I'm no help here, but I'd like to better understand what this NFC key card is for. If you can unlock the car with your phone, why do you need the key card anymore? Is it just meant for those who don't have a compatible phone?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
772 Posts
Well, it would be handy for those without a compatible phone, but let's say you have a teenaged driver in the house and two key fobs. Parents each have a key and can give the kid the NFC card without worrying about them losing a $X00 key fob. And, for fun, it's an iPhone-only house where the app isn't an option.

I'm also not entirely clear, not having used/experienced it myself yet, but while you can use the app for doors/start/stop/etc, I believe you still are required to have the key (or the card, if it works) on you to drive away. The phone alone may not do the job.

I'm very much looking forward to testing this stuff out for myself next month. Hopefully a current owner can shed more light on it before then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry I'm no help here, but I'd like to better understand what this NFC key card is for. If you can unlock the car with your phone, why do you need the key card anymore? Is it just meant for those who don't have a compatible phone?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hi nojovo, I really do not like the Smart Key Fob, it is huge and heavy! Also, iPhones do not work currently with the Digital Key so I am forced to carry the key fob, unless I use the Key Card, .

With my iPhone and the Card Key, I can leave the Key Fob at home and use the Card Key from my wallet to drive. Hope that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts