Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
81 - 100 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also it is really strange that you can buy the hitch and OEM 4-pin harness for $700 or you can buy them separately for $630 on Hyundaishop.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
Apparently you can't buy them at all in Canada yet. The only accessory here so far seems to be a block heater. LOL No hitches, no roof racks ... nada. The accessory game is weeeeeeeeeeeeak!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
So, they just demonstrated towing 800+lbs more than Hyundai's unbraked tow limit of 1650lbs.

Nice to see it did it well. Other thing of note is they said Hyundai will get them a 7 pin connector "in a couple weeks".

·
Registered
711 Posts
Couldn't do that in Canada. Wasn't an option. Dealer still has no ETA when the hitch will be available here.
Probably a 7-pin thing for you guys up north with all your engine/trans combos being Turbo/DCT's. I know the guy that did the towing test in Canada had one on their test vehicle (hitch, not 7-pin).

We all know the aftermarket units will be much cheaper when they hit the market. Hopefully Hyundai will have a factory 7-pin plug & play by then.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
What I find hilarious is that Hyundai HAS these parts. They've put them on display for media/YouTube events. They even showed the 7 pin connector on the TFL video. And yet ... somehow ... none of it exists in the real world. Not even part numbers for some of it. Not even options to pre-order things for when they EVENTUALLY become available. It's incredibly short-sighted of them, much like everything else with this launch ... so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, really. LOL I couldn't believe the number of comments from friends/family yesterday when I posted some pics from my test drive and nobody had a clue what it was or who even made it. Followed by, "Hyundai makes a truck??" Even if there isn't stock yet, it doesn't excuse failing to market it. Bronco buyers have waited like two years - but they knew it was coming, Ford pumped it up, even if almost nobody could get one for a couple of years. Ford trounced Hyundai with marketing the Maverick too. Even if it will be a while before you can walk in off the streets and buy one, people have heard about it.

I guess they're trying the ol' Field of Dreams thing ... if you build it, they will come. Hopefully. LOL

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Data point. My dealer called me yesterday and said my Hampton, Limited, Green Leather, as ordered had arrived.

I asked about availability on the hitch and 7pin (again), no straight answer other than aftermarket so I have officially cancelled my order.

Fun fact, the car is being sent back to Hyundai Canada, not allotted to the dealer's inventory.

The salesman was great, the dealer was great, their parts manager was very understanding.

I might come back to it...but I HAD to walk. The purpose of my vehicle purchase is to tow my 3500lb travel trailer and 2500lb boat, right away.

If I cant do this with an originally equipped vehicle or with manufacturer warranteed dealer installed equipment and in accordance to applicable local law, it is a non starter for me.

I will not be the one holding the bag no matter how many people tell me "it'll be fine". Been there, done that, not going back.

Blame is on me for listening to the first bit of marketing that came out with the official, formal announcement of the Cruz's specs, including the 3500/5000lb tow rating.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Data point. My dealer called me yesterday and said my Hampton, Limited, Green Leather, as ordered had arrived.
I thought all Limited's came with a trailer hitch? Now the 7-horned unicorn is still a mystery.
🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄🦄

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
Not the Desert one I drove. Nor another that is sitting on the lot close to my house.

Both Limiteds.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Yeah, the late availability with no timeline is the deal breaker for me.

In the near term I asked if I can buy a new Palisade instead, with hitch and 7pin. Dealer said said Hyundai has been saying its been "coming" for over a year.

If towing right away isnt important, then fly at it. This isnt comparable fender flairs.. FFS.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, the late availability with no timeline is the deal breaker for me.

In the near term I asked if I can buy a new Palisade instead, with hitch and 7pin. Dealer said said Hyundai has been saying its been "coming" for over a year.

If towing right away isnt important, then fly at it. This isnt comparable fender flairs.. FFS.
Time for a Telluride? Kia has the 7 PIN adapter available. Hard to go wrong with a Telluride with the twin-turbo 6.. same engine in the Genesis models. I have driven a few Tellurides and they are REALLY nice. I have seen several with the hitch / 7 pin on the So Cal lots.

Either way... I wish you the best finding a tow vehicle that meets your needs. (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
44 Posts

I asked about availability on the hitch and 7pin (again), no straight answer other than aftermarket so I have officially cancelled my order.

Fun fact, the car is being sent back to Hyundai Canada, not allotted to the dealer's inventory.

The salesman was great, the dealer was great, their parts manager was very understanding.

I might come back to it...but I HAD to walk. The purpose of my vehicle purchase is to tow my 3500lb travel trailer and 2500lb boat, right away.

If I cant do this with an originally equipped vehicle or with manufacturer warranteed dealer installed equipment and in accordance to applicable local law, it is a non starter for me.

I will not be the one holding the bag no matter how many people tell me "it'll be fine". Been there, done that, not going back.

Blame is on me for listening to the first bit of marketing that came out with the official, formal announcement of the Cruz's specs, including the 3500/5000lb tow rating.
I totally understand your position! I am at that same point. The salesman I am talking to really wants me to come test drive a SC but I have decided I'll wait. I suspect most potential customers aren't going to tow close to the limit so Hyundai doesn't care. Even 2500 lbs on so light a vehicle would make me nervous without trailer brakes. On my brothers F250 it wouldn't be a problem but his vehicle was made for towing basically from the ground up. I think Hyundai California designed a great vehicle but Hyundai has shown a failure to execute. Maybe next year I'll be able to get a Red N-Line version. ;-)

·
Registered
888 Posts
Even 2500 lbs on so light a vehicle would make me nervous without trailer brakes.
The SC weighs about the same as my current Dakota and more then my old Ranger. In fact I'd trust the SC more since my previous trucks had rear drum brakes with no ABS. My trailer doesn't even have brakes, given its weight (under 3,000lbs) its not required in my state.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The SC weighs about the same as my current Dakota and more then my old Ranger. In fact I'd trust the SC more since my previous trucks had rear drum brakes with no ABS. My trailer doesn't even have brakes, given its weight (under 3,000lbs) its not required in my state.
I am not really sure what your point is other than you are going to tow more that Hyundai's rated unbraked limit and you are comfortable doing so. I believe our situations are quite different. I live in the Pacific Northwest with lots of hills, mountains and rain. I have a trailer that is 20' long and has trailer brakes and requires a 7-pin harness. My Colorado came with all the necessary equipment except the trailer brake but there was a video on how to install one. I don't think it is unreasonable to want the same in it's replacement.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Has anyone seen what the stock hitch is rated as? Class 3 or Class 4?

Also, is it rated to be used with a weight distribution setup?

A class 3 hitch is usually rated at 5,000 pounds or 6,000 pounds with a weight-distribution hitch. So I am curious how the factory hitch is set up as.

That may be another reason for me to wait for an aftermarket offering.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I live in the Pacific Northwest with lots of hills, mountains and rain. I have a trailer that is 20' long and has trailer brakes and requires a 7-pin harness. My Colorado came with all the necessary equipment except the trailer brake but there was a video on how to install one. I don't think it is unreasonable to want the same in it's replacement.
For sure you need the brake setup then (y) But the real problem isn't the 7 pin - which we know is coming - the real gotcha is the brake controller.

However it sounds like your Colorado had the same limitation - brake controller sold separately, some assembly required.

81 - 100 of 167 Posts