Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
101 - 120 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
For a couple of decades, vehicles have had wiring set up for brake controllers. You just buy the brake controller you want and the adapter harness that plugs into the controller and vehicle. It is plug-n-play. Somewhere I read or heard a Hyundai rep say the brake control wiring in under the dash in the SC. I have yet to confirm that myself. So it should be just waiting for the plug-n-play harness or splice on in right now.

I think the wiring is nothing compared to mounting the brake controller. Where it is accessible and where any holes you drill for mounting it are not visible if the brake controller was removed.

·
Registered
44 Posts
For a couple of decades, vehicles have had wiring set up for brake controllers. You just buy the brake controller you want and the adapter harness that plugs into the controller and vehicle. It is plug-n-play. Somewhere I read or heard a Hyundai rep say the brake control wiring in under the dash in the SC. I have yet to confirm that myself. So it should be just waiting for the plug-n-play harness or splice on in right now.

I think the wiring is nothing compared to mounting the brake controller. Where it is accessible and where any holes you drill for mounting it are not visible if the brake controller was removed.
That is very interesting, that wasn't true for my 2015 Colorado. I had to remove the driver side kick panel and splice in to the wires. Fortunately there was a really good video on how to do this and what wires to splice. I will remove the brake controller on the Colorado before I trade it in on an SC but I think I will try one of the bluetooth controllers instead of wiring it in. So far I don't have much confidence in Hyundai giving out wiring diagrams to help me determine which wires and where they are.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A few companies make the harnesses. Like this one. Maybe it is a half-ton and higher-weight capacity vehicle? I have installed a few in 1500, 2500, and 3500 GM trucks and cargo vans though.

I believe it was one of the videos with the guy showing off accessories that he mentioned the harness under the dash to plug the brake controller into. I'll see if I can take a look under the dash tonight. Maybe it will be there and clearly labeled? Although I am not going to hold my breath. haha

·
Registered
615 Posts
For sure you need the brake setup then (y) But the real problem isn't the 7 pin - which we know is coming - the real gotcha is the brake controller.

However it sounds like your Colorado had the same limitation - brake controller sold separately, some assembly required.
Someone posted about wireless brake controllers, so that made sense to me and alleviated that concern. The hitch also required no cutting into the body, so appreciated that too. Only real bummer IMO is that apparently only the turbo models are equipped with 7-pin. If you get the SE or SEL, you only get a 4-pin. Personally though, I'd feel safer towing 3.5K lbs with trailer brakes, because TX is nice and flat and I don't need to drag race anyone while towing, but I do want to be able to brake quickly in an emergency.

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I pulled the owners manual out and there are fuses labeled "trailer connector" and "trailer controller". That gives strong reason to believe the wiring is integrated in the SC.

I looked under the dash and there isn't much wiring you can see. It's all nearly tucked away. But I did see this guy. I'd bet that is the plug that the brake controller harness would plug into.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
That is probably it, thats how it looked in other vehicles that I have plugged in a controller to.

It would be a huge oversight if this wasn't included in the non-turbo models. Remember, the non-turbo has a 3500lb towing capacity, but only 1650lbs without trailer brakes. So it would necessitate having the trailer brake plug and play at the dash and a 7 pin connection at the trailer for all models.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Figured I'd jump in here with a question. I'm new to towing but am looking at the SEL 2.5 non-turbo for the 3500lb rating. I can't seem to find anything else besides that 3500lb number but I shouldn't have any issues pulling a pop-up camper with it around the Midwest I'd gather?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Figured I'd jump in here with a question. I'm new to towing but am looking at the SEL 2.5 non-turbo for the 3500lb rating. I can't seem to find anything else besides that 3500lb number but I shouldn't have any issues pulling a pop-up camper with it around the Midwest I'd gather?
There are also issues with frontal area especially if you want to cruise at a high speed, but popup should be somewhat low profile. To get 3500lbs you also need to have a trailer brake controller installed, along with a 7-pin connector. Unbraked I think the Santa Cruz was pretty low like 1600lbs or something.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
And unless you are comfortable getting aftermarket 7 pin wiring, you are SOL to tow more than 1600lbs until Hyundai provides one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What if I were to get a popup without trailer brakes? Let's assume I know nothing about towing... Just for discussion sake. Lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Then you are playing Russian Roulette with Hyundai, Insurance and perhaps local laws.

Staying under 1600lbs loaded trailer weight is the only play I would consider.

Pop up trailers can weigh less than1000lbs to over 3000lbs.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Real world example: my Dakota's owners manual says for trailers over 1,000lb brakes are recommended and for trailers over 2,000lbs brakes are required. However I've been towing 2,500lbs for over 20 years with no trailer brakes and have NEVER had an issue. Granted I am in in ruler flat FL which doesn't subject the vehicle to long periods of downhill braking which will overheat the brakes. Now if I lived some place with mountains I would be concerned and thus have trailer brakes. Laws vary by state with some requiring brakes for trailers with a little as just 1,000lbs: State and Province Towing Laws

·
Registered
81 Posts
It is best to stay within state law just to avoid being hassled, as well as to be safe. All of the trailers I pull with my Tundra have brakes, except for a small utility trailer. Toyota gave me the hitch and the 7-pin wiring as part of a towing package. So I have never checked the specifics of Ohio law, because trailer brakes make towing both easier and safer and I always use them.

It is unfortunate that Hyundai did not make the towing stuff standard, at least on the 2.5T models, which would have avoided them selling trucks that some buyers could not use as intended. But not everyone will tow with them and this lets each buyer choose, assuming that the get their act together soon and ship the harness and hitch. I do think they will sort this out sooner rather than later and it will just be an issue for the lucky few who got a SC early.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This should help alleviate the 7 pin harness availability concerns: today I installed the Kia Telluride 7 pin harness on the SC, and it works! Easy install for this sometimes mechanically challenged dude. Total plug and play. Everything works according to the 7 way connecter tester! Talk about sigh of relief. Hitch should arrive in a couple days, all installed in time for a camping trip next week :)

·
Registered
720 Posts
This should help alleviate the 7 pin harness availability concerns: today I installed the Kia Telluride 7 pin harness on the SC, and it works! Easy install for this sometimes mechanically challenged dude. Total plug and play. Everything works according to the 7 way connecter tester! Talk about sigh of relief. Hitch should arrive in a couple days, all installed in time for a camping trip next week :)
Look for an inventory backlog on this baby! Enter email to be notified when back in stock __ :LOL:

·
Registered
893 Posts
This should help alleviate the 7 pin harness availability concerns: today I installed the Kia Telluride 7 pin harness on the SC, and it works! Easy install for this sometimes mechanically challenged dude. Total plug and play. Everything works according to the 7 way connecter tester!
Thank you for confirming. I was already 100% confident in this solution as its been proven and tested on other H/K models. Its the same part just with a different logo on the package... very common in the auto industry.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you for confirming. I was already 100% confident in this solution as its been proven and tested on other H/K models. Its the same part just with a different logo on the package... very common in the auto industry.
It's just crazy that they didn't pull some of these Kia ones and slap a Hyundai sticker on it for all the demand from the SC launch. Ah well.

·
Registered
2022 Hyundai Santa Cruz Premium - Phantom Black
27 Posts
Thank you for confirming, just ordered one for myself :)

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
My dealer (Canada, obviously) quoted me $227 for the 7-pin harness, but not an ETA. Told him to order it anyway.

101 - 120 of 170 Posts