Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
121 - 140 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
What if I were to get a popup without trailer brakes? Let's assume I know nothing about towing... Just for discussion sake. Lol
You don't provide enough information to give any relevant discussion. What is the weight of said popup? Ok so a really light popup with canvas sides weighs around 1300 lbs while the heavier ones weigh around 4500lbs. I would be comfortable towing a popup up to 2200lbs even though that is beyond Hyundai's stated weight limit of 1650lbs without trailer brakes. Also it depends on your states weight limit without brakes. Here in Washington and in many other states that limit is 3000lbs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Here's hoping this works out great for you. I'll be all over this if it does. Can't wait to hear how it goes.
Why wouldn't it? Curt is one of 2 major hitch manufacturers in the US. You can bet they had it dialed before offering it. No plug ins for me needed at this time, but will go for a 4 pin once they become reasonable (like the hitch has)

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
244 Posts
Why wouldn't it? Curt is one of 2 major hitch manufacturers in the US. You can bet they had it dialed before offering it. No plug ins for me needed at this time, but will go for a 4 pin once they become reasonable (like the hitch has)
No particular reason...other than sh!t happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just received my tow hitch from my SC. Comparing the online pictures of the Curt to the Hyundai hitch, it seems the Curt trailer hitch lays lower than the Hyundai, thus you may see the whole hitch under the bumper, which I don't like that look. I haven't installed my hitch yet as I'm waiting for my 7 pin connector, but it seems it will be a cleaner look as you'll just see the receiver tube only. Though, I'm just assuming through the online pictures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just received my tow hitch from my SC. Comparing the online pictures of the Curt to the Hyundai hitch, it seems the Curt trailer hitch lays lower than the Hyundai, thus you may see the whole hitch under the bumper, which I don't like that look. I haven't installed my hitch yet as I'm waiting for my 7 pin connector, but it seems it will be a cleaner look as you'll just see the receiver tube only. Though, I'm just assuming through the online pictures.

Just scheduled the hitch and the install with U-Haul $300 with labor. Looking at the part number on the U-Haul work order it shows it is for the Curt hitch. Going to Curt's site the linked instructions show that it is also concealed. Curt is the Hyundai hitch?

https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13486/installsheet/13486_INS.pdf

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just scheduled the hitch and the install with U-Haul $300 with labor. Looking at the part number on the U-Haul work order it shows it is for the Curt hitch. Going to Curt's site the linked instructions show that it is also concealed. Curt is the Hyundai hitch?

https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/13486/installsheet/13486_INS.pdf

View attachment 2625
Oh nice. I don't know why I didn't see these pictures. Looks great and you save a ton of money. The designs are a tad different but both concealed. The Hyundai one does have an attachment for the hitch harness. I bought the Hyundai one because I have a trip coming up and didn't know when aftermarkets would become available, otherwise I would of bought Curt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This should help alleviate the 7 pin harness availability concerns: today I installed the Kia Telluride 7 pin harness on the SC, and it works! Easy install for this sometimes mechanically challenged dude. Total plug and play. Everything works according to the 7 way connecter tester! Talk about sigh of relief. Hitch should arrive in a couple days, all installed in time for a camping trip next week :)
Thanks for posting. I just ordered one. I hope it comes in time for my camping trip next weekend.

·
Registered
2022 Sage Grey SC Ultimate
859 Posts
**** yeah, that's ready!! What's your plan for a brake controller? Bluetooth or wiring something to the dash?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ready to tow!
Well after the 1,500 mile break in it will be ;)

Good work and enjoy. What are towing?

And just to confirm this is the Kia 7 pin and the official Hyundai hitch correct?

121 - 140 of 170 Posts