Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
281 - 300 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I would be totally shocked if Canadian SC used a different trailer harness, doing so would make no sense what-so-ever. If you got one and it didn't work (for some odd reason) I bet someone on this very site would buy it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Canadian Update:

Called Kia parts, asked for telluride 7-way harness. They said “We don’t do that. We subtlet out to Hitch House.”

Called Hitch House. They are installing the Curt hitch and directly wiring a 7-blade harness which “matches” the one for the Telluride (same one perhaps?) along with a brake controller. It’s all in stock so they’re doing it tomorrow. They did a SC last week here in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada, eh?), so the tech must know what he’s doing. Total cost is way less than Hyundai quoted me for the hitch and 4-way.

They confirmed that this business of adding a 7-way adapter to a 4-way harness won’t work with a brake controller. Which seemed odd to me from the beginning. And JMII you are spot on about the dealers not having a clue.

The Hitch House guy said the “7-pin” are for commercial trailers and the “7-blade” are for camper trailers etc. Does that sound right to you guys? (I know nothing, but everyone on here keeps calling them “7-pin” so I’m just making sure.)

·
Registered
316 Posts
Canadian Update:

Called Kia parts, asked for telluride 7-way harness. They said “We don’t do that. We subtlet out to Hitch House.”

Called Hitch House. They are installing the hitch and directly wiring a 7-blade harness made by Curt for the SC, which “matches” the one for the Telluride. It’s all in stock so they’re doing it tomorrow. They did a SC last week here in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada, eh?), so the tech must know what he’s doing. Total cost is way less than Hyundai quoted me for the hitch and 4-way.

They confirmed that this business of adding a 7-way adapter to a 4-way harness won’t work with a brake controller. Which seemed odd to me from the beginning. And JMII you are spot on about the dealers not having a clue.

The Hitch House guy said the “7-pin” are for commercial trailers and the “7-blade” are for camper trailers etc. Does that sound right to you guys? (I know nothing, but everyone on here keeps calling them “7-pin” so I’m just making sure.)
Glad this has resolved to your satisfaction and I know who to thank when/if I ever need the 7pin installed here in Canada… 🎉😎

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
Called Hitch House. They are installing the Curt hitch and directly wiring a 7-blade harness made by Curt for the SC, which “matches” the one for the Telluride, along with a brake controller. It’s all in stock so they’re doing it tomorrow. They did a SC last week here in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada, eh?), so the tech must know what he’s doing. Total cost is way less than Hyundai quoted me for the hitch and 4-way.
What is the part number of this mysterious Plug&Play Curt product you/they speak of? Curt's website only shows a 4-PIN Plug&Play for the Telluride (#56420); which happens to be the same part number I used for my 4-PIN light bar.
As posted earlier...
You want the factory 7 pin because then you can use the brake controller wiring under the dash: The Official Santa Cruz Towing Thread

However if you are going with the wireless brake controller then it doesn't matter... just go with the 4 pin and adapters as needed.
^ THIS ^

The 4-PIN to 7-PIN/BLADE (being used interchangeably - a PIN is round and a BLADE is flat) should work fine with a "wireless" brake controller as JMII stated earlier.

I will be using the Curt 4-PIN to Dual-Function 4-PIN & 7-PIN/BLADE adapter; most likely with a wireless controller. The reason I'm going this route is I need the 4-PIN plug to run my light bar and the 7-PIN/BLADE to plug in the trailer. If the trailer I'm towing is a 4-PIN, then I will simply plug the Curt 7-PIN/BLADE to 4-PIN posted earlier that has the backup beeper built into it (arrives tomorrow).

The end result will give all of these abilities:
1) Light bar and backup beeper for everyday driving while not towing.
2) Light bar, backup beeper and 4-PIN towing ability.
3) Light bar and 7-PIN/BLADE towing with wireless brake controller, no backup beeper (removed).

Hopefully that clears up any confusion.

I'm skeptical of your installers' claims that the Curt 57672 Dual-Output can't be hard wired into the under dash Hyundai system, but that's certainly not the easy way to do your installation.

Please get the Curt 7-Blade Plug&Play part number for the rest of us here. That will solve the problem of Hyundai dragging their feet on getting that to their dealers for every to purchase. Thanks!

·
Registered
Limited
213 Posts
Canadian Update:

Called Hitch House. They are installing the Curt hitch and directly wiring a 7-blade harness made by Curt for the SC, which “matches” the one for the Telluride, along with a brake controller. It’s all in stock so they’re doing it tomorrow. They did a SC last week here in Edmonton, Alberta (Canada, eh?), so the tech must know what he’s doing. Total cost is way less than Hyundai quoted me for the hitch and 4-way.

They actually call them RV or SAE 7-pin connectors. Different areas call them by different names. But the diagram below is a great resource.

Font Line Screenshot Circle Logo

·
Registered
51 Posts
@HSC4ME — it’s not plug and play 7-way. He is hard wiring it same as the guys have posted on here. I’ll find out which one. Sorry I wasn’t clear.

It still seems like your method of sticking with 4-way wired and 7-way adapter for lights with a Bluetooth brake controller (Echo?) would work fine and avoid the knob under the dash. I may end up going this route too because it seems so much cleaner, but the negative reviews have me unsure.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
@HSC4ME — it’s not plug and play 7-way.
No idea why they would not use the Kia 7 pin harness... other then being uninformed and too lazy to check themselves. Out of the box thinking doesn't happen anymore, people just believe what the "computer" tells them :rolleyes: instead of actually doing some physical research, IE: does this plug fit? Prime example: I ran Infiniti G37 "Akebono" brakes on my Nissan 350Z because these vehicles are based on the same platform and the parts bolt right up. Hundreds of people have done this swap yet a Nissan dealer would claim this is impossible because the parts aren't listed as being interchangeable.

Pete at the https://www.youtube.com/c/BrantfordKia said he would cover the whole SC trailer situation at some point, so it might be worth sending him a message to clarify this. After all he is a H/K dealer and should have all the parts and techs to verify the solution. Or just wait for Hyundai to release the official part.

Either way if your dealer does the work and your satisfied with the results that is all that matters (y)

·
Registered
2022 Ultimate, Sage Grey, Dark Green two-tone leather
30 Posts
The 7-pin is not an accessory on any Canadian Kia/Hyundai models so dealers can't order the part here in Canada I was told by Durham Kia.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What is the part number of this mysterious Plug&Play Curt product you/they speak of? Curt's website only shows a 4-PIN Plug&Play for the Telluride (#56420); which happens to be the same part number I used for my 4-PIN light bar.

Please get the Curt 7-Blade Plug&Play part number for the rest of us here. That will solve the problem of Hyundai dragging their feet on getting that to their dealers for every to purchase. Thanks!
Yes, this is what the Hitch House does, and with the same part you’re going to use. It’s 56420 flat 4 to T.
And because the Bluetooth controller still needs power, it still needs the 7-blade wired in so no cheating with it, sadly.

Dealer said third party installation “shouldn’t” void the warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Canadian Update:

Called Kia parts, asked for telluride 7-way harness. They said “We don’t do that. We subtlet out to Hitch House.”…

We interchange those two terms all the time but he’s right that the connector discussed on this thread has blades rather than pins. So, strictly speaking, it is a seven blade.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
No idea why they would not use the Kia 7 pin harness... other then being uninformed and too lazy to check themselves. Out of the box thinking doesn't happen anymore, people just believe what the "computer" tells them :rolleyes: instead of actually doing some physical research, IE: does this plug fit?
Agree. I ran into this very thing at wheel shops yesterday. Guy behind the counter says we only show one wheel that will fit your SC. I told him that's because it's new and the companies haven't updated their systems for it yet. Then I gave him my OEM wheel specs and he looked at me like the counter jockey's at the auto parts stores when I tell them I need a XYZ for an 68 International Travelall (They usually repond, is that a Ford or a Chevy?). When I tell them it's an International and you have to use the dusty old parts books over there (pointing at them), a puzzled look coimes over their faces...

It's amazing that you can work at a wheel shop and not have/know how to enter 18x7.5-8 +30-45 67.1 bore or larger.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Agree. I ran into this very thing at wheel shops yesterday. Guy behind the counter says we only show one wheel that will fit your SC. I told him that's because it's new and the companies haven't updated their systems for it yet. Then I gave him my OEM wheel specs and he looked at me like the counter jockey's at the auto parts stores when I tell them I need a XYZ for an 68 International Travelall (They usually repond, is that a Ford or a Chevy?). When I tell them it's an International and you have to use the dusty old parts books over there (pointing at them), a puzzled look coimes over their faces...

It's amazing that you can work at a wheel shop and not have/know how to enter 18x7.5-8 +30-45 67.1 bore or larger.
"the dusty old parts book over there" haha love it.

When I called the dealer to be sure a third party installing the hitch and wiring wouldn't void the warranty, the service guy said, "Oh you don't need wiring on that. The hitch is just for bikes and skis and such." I was shocked for a minute and then said, "It's a Santa CRUZ not a Santa FE. It's rated to tow 5000 pounds. Can I talk to your supervisor please?"

·
Registered
2022 SEL-Premuim 2.5Turbo AWD
77 Posts
I’m a bit confused here. Someone was talking about using a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter. I’ve seen 7pin to 4 pin (I have one) but the other way around isn’t going to work correctly. Reason is, the 4 pin has no wiring for electric brakes. If you are thinking your trailer brakes will work going from 4 to 7 pins, I would say no. Not trying to be a technical know it all, but thought it should be clarified so someone doesn’t hook up a 4000# trailer thinking they are OK. You need a 7 pin connector for trailer brakes (not sure how the new “wireless” systems work though). The 4 pin connectors only are for brake LIGHTS, directional signals, and marker lights.. 🙂

·
Registered
100 Posts
I’m a bit confused here. Someone was talking about using a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter. I’ve seen 7pin to 4 pin (I have one) but the other way around isn’t going to work correctly. Reason is, the 4 pin has no wiring for electric brakes. If you are thinking your trailer brakes will work going from 4 to 7 pins, I would say no. Not trying to be a technical know it all, but thought it should be clarified so someone doesn’t hook up a 4000# trailer thinking they are OK. You need a 7 pin connector for trailer brakes (not sure how the new “wireless” systems work though). The 4 pin connectors only are for brake LIGHTS, directional signals, and marker lights.. 🙂
I've never been a towing guy as I have a utility trailer and hitch on my '11 Sonata. But I am looking to get a camper to pull with the SC and this brake controller stuff is new to me. So if I go with a wireless unit do you need a 7 pin connector or is 4 pin good enough? Seems like the 7 pin is only needed if you are hard wiring the brake controller.
I apologize if this is a stupid question but if a wireless BC works that would make my decision pretty easy.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
That's why the 4-way to Dual-Output 4-way & 7-way adapter has extra wires (Curt #57672 on the left).
Gadget Audio equipment Input device Font Peripheral

Those extra wires are for your electric brakes and have to be wired into the vehicle wiring or a wireless controller. What this product allows you to do is NOT buy another expensive computer module that your already installed 4-way has to handle the tail lights/brakes/turns.

Again, if you have no 4-way already, then just dust off that wallet and buy the Kia 7-way that has been confirmed to work in the US. It's play and play (you will still have to deal with installing a controller up under the dash using the Hyundai wiring that is there).

Once you have a 7-way installed, you can then use a 7-way to 4-way plug in adapter if you happen to be pulling a brakeless trailer with a 4-way plug. The one pictured above on the right (Curt #57724) has a backup beeper built into it that can be used when not towing anything if you desire. Yes, you will have to wire up the reverse lights somewhere in there too.

If any of this is confusing to you, it's best to have a professional install it all. I was surprised to hear the Canadian professional installer mentioned above is using the same 4-way Curt #56420 plug and play computer unit and wiring up the rest of the 7-way themselves, so they are basically making their own 4-way to 7-way wiring from scratch.

281 - 300 of 318 Posts