Hyundai Santa Cruz Forum banner
301 - 318 of 318 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was surprised to hear the Canadian professional installer mentioned above is using the same 4-way Curt #56420 plug and play computer unit and wiring up the rest of the 7-way themselves, so they are basically making their own 4-way to 7-way wiring from scratch.
Yes. It does seem he made the 4 to 7-way as there is no extra part listed for it. (See attached invoice.) Unless they forgot to list something else? I decided not to have him hardwire for a brake controller, but he did wire for power in case I get a blue tooth controller. (I don't even have a trailer yet!)

I remember him saying he closed off the brake wire so whatever he used had it? (Which doesn't really make sense to me if he's creating the 7-way from scratch, so maybe I misunderstood him.) Then he extended it all to sit closer to the hitch. I've no clue why Hyundai has their wiring so dang far. It's nice and clean this way (unlike my trucklet!), and it's tucked nicely underneath the bumper. It doesn't stick out at all.

If you want any photos of what he did underneath let me know. I just snapped this one quickly when I got home. Also, this was their first wiring of a SC hitch. The one they did last week was hitch only without wiring. He said once he looked under and saw it all right there (I guess he meant the 4-way pre-wire?), he was gold.

The invoice shows 45 minutes for installing the hitch and 75 minutes for the wiring and bracket install. And this was Hitch House.

Font Parallel Paper Document Paper product
Automotive tire Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior Asphalt

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
Interesting. So they didn't wire up the electric braking portion of the 7-way aftereall...

This is exactly what I plan to do until I actually have a need for towing a 7-way trailer with electric brakes. (y)

RECEIVED GOOD NEWS FROM U-HAUL TODAY!
My hitch finally shipped and is due to arrive November 28th.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This should help alleviate the 7 pin harness availability concerns: today I installed the Kia Telluride 7 pin harness on the SC, and it works! Easy install for this sometimes mechanically challenged dude. Total plug and play. Everything works according to the 7 way connecter tester! Talk about sigh of relief. Hitch should arrive in a couple days, all installed in time for a camping trip next week :)

Greetings,

I just recently bought the SC HTRAC and found your feed about using the Telluride part since Hyundai still has not produced the part (which is strange considering that Hyundai owns Kia) yet. I wish I had seen your feed a couple of days sooner as I just had the 4 pin flat installed on my SC and was going to use a 4 pin to 7 pin adaptor like I did with my Santa Fe.

I looked for install instructions for the Telluride 7 pin, but it seems Kia isn't as open about installs like their sister company does for Hyundai accessory parts. Hyundai even included a heavy duty 7-way plate holder that attached to the 4 pin holder with the tow hitch.

When I installed a 7-way adaptor on my 2020 Santa Fe HTRAC so I could have brakes, I had to run a power line to the battery in order to have brakes. Does the Kia 7-pin part attach in the same place as the Hyundai 4 pin; is it just a matter of switching them out?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Does the Kia 7-pin part attach in the same place as the Hyundai 4 pin; is it just a matter of switching them out?
Yes, plug-n-play. The instructions are the same regardless of which harness you use.

This is very simple:
1) If you need trailer brakes* you MUST get the 7 pin harness PLUS a brake controller.
2) The brake controller can be wired under the dash OR you avoid that mess and get a wireless controller.
3) Can you do a 4 to 7 conversion? Yes but it requires extra wiring. Thus I see no good reason to go this route when the Kia 7 pin has been confirmed to work. Don't worry that packaging says Kia instead of Hyundai, its the same plug.
4) If your trailer doesn't have brakes you can easily convert the 7 to 4 pin at the plug location. I have used this exact setup for over 20 years on my Dakota for two different boat trailers.

*even if you have no trailer brakes I would still install the 7 pin since it future proofs your install and allows you to tow any trailer with a 7 to 4 pin adapter.

Helpful links: (if any parts are out of stock search the part numbers for other retailers)
Kia 7 pin harness - Part #S9F67-AC500 = 2020-2022 Kia Telluride Trailer Tow Harness S9F67-AC500 Kia Parts Store Kia Wholesale Parts Phoenix Dallas San Francisco Los Angeles Bay Area | Kia Parts Store
Wireless brake controller - Curt Echo #51180 = www.amazon.com/CURT-51180-Controller-Bluetooth-Enabled-Proportional/dp/B07JQ99SDD/
7 to 4 pin converter - Curt #57245 = https://www.amazon.com/57245-7-Way-Electrical-Adapter-Tester/dp/B00HG17URC/
Install of wired brake controller under the dash: The Official Santa Cruz Towing Thread REDARC brand shown but others will be similar.

·
Registered
2022 SEL AWD * Non-Activity
1,188 Posts
I sure hope Hyundai is reading this thread and understands all the concerns and confusion they have caused by not having the towing setup ready to go on vehicle launch. I also hope that when Hyundai actually does offer the complete 7-Blade electric brake towing setup that the plug will also have a 4-Pin next to the 7-Blade like so many of the aftermarket products out there. Why not make life easy for your cutomers Hyundai?

·
Registered
2022 Santa Cruz SEL Premium Hampton Gray
285 Posts
I don't know if Hyundai is using this forum but it sure would clear up a lot of questions owners have
There should not be any confusion for anyone reading this forum.

What @JMII stated in his last post in this thread is fact and has been validated many times in other threads on Santa Cruz Forums.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah; this is a mess with the SC. Even the documentation on the wiring in the Hyundai service portal was incorrect until brought it to their attention.

On the note about brake controllers. I see alot of folks talking about avoiding the hassle of installing one up front and while I agree it can be a hassle I personally went that way because

1) the wiring is already there
2) Reading the reviews for the curt echo (wireless brake controller) and I wanted to avoid any chance of Bluetooth/wireless connection issues

With that said and hindsight being 20/20 I would not go with the REDARC brake controller again. You have to hide the module up under the dash somewhere and mount the dial to the dash somehow. The SC really doesn't have a good place to store the module and the ideal place for the dial was a PITA to access/take out.

IMO, the best/easiest thing todo would be to get something like a prodigy P3 and mount it to the fuse box cover. Cable just plugs in under the dash and you can easily just replace the fuse box cover if you decide to sell and wanna take the brake controller out. Would take like 20 minutes to install and avoids any chance of connections issues with a wireless brake controller.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just installed the hitch from etrailer (finally). It is from Curt. Install was about 2.5 to 3 hours for me. I usually move slow when working on vehicles. I probably should have full removed the tire rather than just lowering it. I would advise to clean out the 6 mounting holes and run the bolts in and out before lifting the hitch into place. Last thing, you might be inclined to try and wiggle the hitch in to place back to front. I found it easier to align it kind of front to back, bring it in from the driver side and then over the muffler. A few picture below

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Tire Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Land vehicle Car

·
Registered
28 Posts
TL;DR: The turbo equipped SC has 3 trailer related fuses (1 for 4-pin stuff, 1 for dedicated 12v, 1 for trailer brake controller connection). The owners manual is incorrect as saying these fuses are only on the non-turbo. The turbo equipped SC has a 4-pin connector for a trailer brake controller under the dash (it is hidden up behind the fuse panel). The technical information in Hyundai tech info is incorrect in regards to this.

Alright this gets even more confusing. So the owners manual says the Trailer 2 (Trailer Controller) and Trailer 3 (Trailer Connector) fuses are only on the G4KN (non turbo 2.5L) SC Model. Yet I have the G4KP (Turbo 2.5L) Model and I have those fuses (The owner's manual seems backwards IMO).

View attachment 3425

In the fuse box schematics neither the G4KN or the G4KP have the Trailer 2/Trailer 3 fuses mentioned. Seriously Hyundai, get it together.

Ok. Looking at the Santa Fe schematics and it makes more sense. Essentially, fuse wise, Trailer 1 is used for standard 4-pin stuff, Trailer 2 is for the brake controller, and Trailer 3 is for the 12v to the 7-pin. The Santa Fe shows the Trailer 2 fuse going to a 4-pin connector under the dash. Also shows the same 6-pin we have found in the SC as the CAN2 diag connector. So It seems the 2.5T SC has the fuses for brake controller/7-pin but now to just find the connector to wire in the brake controller...

Found the connector for the brake controller. It is up behind the fuse panel under the dash:

View attachment 3436
This picture is different than someone posted previously but it does match the brake harness that comes with the Kia 7-pin harness kit?

·
Registered
3 Posts
A lot of discussion about the towing capabilities as well as parts and accessories needed to tow with a Santa Cruz.

So whether you have naturally aspirated Cruz, rated for 3500lb towing or a Turbo and its 5,000lb rating, lets talk towing here!

Hoping to see updates on a 7 pin connection becoming available. As well as if there will be a plug and play input for an external brake controller.

Anyone else planning on towing?

If so, post up pics and discuss here!
Towed once and had to buy a 4 pin to 7 pin adapter; about $16. (Denver area)... (Hyundai harness is 4-pin)

·
Registered
28 Posts
FINALLY! I have the Kia 7-Pin Harness and the REDARC Tow Pro Elite Brake Controller Installed! I don't have anything to tow yet but I have a 7-pin tester and before the brake controller everything worked except the brake signal; now everything works including the brake signal. Took way too much time and I learned alot along the way:

1. Don't pay for hyundaitechinfo.com access if your looking for wiring diagrams/details on the towing connector/brake controller stuff. They are incorrect and only show the info for the non-turbo version (Hyundai did refund my subscription cost though).
2. The Kia 7-Pin Kit is plug-and-play to the 12-pin towing harness under the rear of the truck on the driver's side
3. The Turbo equipped SC have 2 extra trailer-related fuses and a 4-pin connector under the dash (up behind the fuse panel) for hardwiring a trailer brake controller
4. Be warned, if you go with a brake controller that has a box you have to store under the dash somewhere (IE the REDARC ones) there is not any great places to really mount/secure it. Something like a prodigy brake controller mounted on the outside of fuse box cover would be alot easier to install
4. Really really really don't mess with the panel/garnish right below the panel with the start/stop button. It looks like its just small piece right there but it actually runs all the way under the center screen/media system and around the glovebox and if you had to replace it you would have to take out the center console and just about all of the dash panels (and the glove box).

Now for some pictures!

- The Kia 7-Pin kit came with an adapter for the 4-pin under the dash to unterminated wires. The redarc brake controller came with an adapter from the controller to unterminated wires. The color coding between them matched up so I just used some butt connectors and covered them in electrical tape.

View attachment 3510 View attachment 3511

- Connected the cabling to the 4-pin behind the fuse panel and then had to find a place for the controller module to sit. Big thing is it has to be fixed and cannot move around. Ended up gorilla taping it to the AC duct in under the center console and added some velcro straps (added after pictures) to make sure it doesn't move:

View attachment 3513 View attachment 3514

- Mounted the knob for the controller on the right of the steering wheel. The panel this is in is the one you really don't want to take out or replace. Could have saved hours if I had put the knob somewhere else:

View attachment 3516
What piece of the Kia brake part plugged not the Santa Cruz; was it the square white piece and where is that under the dash. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all. I successfully installed my Hyundai hitch with the Kia 7 pin harness. After installing my 1-up bike rack, I realized that the reverse lights are being blocked by my rack due to them being so low. I'm now looking into adding a light strip under the tailgate. The one I'm looking at has a 4 pin connector for brakes and turn signals, but a loose wire for the reverse lights. I'm looking to use a 5 pin to 7pin adapter so I can use the reverse lights in the 7 pin. So my question is, without having to convert the 4 pin connection of the light strip to 5, can I simply add a pin connector to the reverse light wire so I can plug the 4 pin and reverse pin into the 5 pin female adapter? Is there a connection for a 1 pin to do that and is weather proof? I've looked and can't find anything. Your help is greatly appreciated. TIA. Am I making this complicated?

301 - 318 of 318 Posts